University Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon

Striker
So, the annual debate of whether the Universities are worth bothering with.......

Number of three day games starting tomorrow.

Cambridge Uni v Notts
Glamorgan v Cardiff Uni
Gloucestershire v Durham Uni
Kent v Leeds-Bradford Uni
Leicestershire v Loughborough Uni
Oxford Uni v Surrey

So, the annual debate of whether the Universities are worth bothering with.......

Number of three day games starting tomorrow.

Cambridge Uni v Notts
Glamorgan v Cardiff Uni
Gloucestershire v Durham Uni
Kent v Leeds-Bradford Uni
Leicestershire v Loughborough Uni
Oxford Uni v Surrey

:eek:

They must be freezing playing at this time of year.

I think they're good prep but shouldn't count towards your FC stats.

Couldn't agree more.

Don't mind us playing the Uni - although I'd like to see us follow it up with a 3-dater against a proper county before the proper season starts.

The simple truth is that most of the best young cricketers bypass going to uni these days and leave county academies and sign pro contracts with their counties. Its very rare to see a student playing for one of these uni sides who also represented England u19s.
15 years ago Durham uni would have 6 or 7 players who where attached to counties now there are lucky if they have 2. Even Cambridge and Oxford are struggling to lure students who are outstanding young cricketers.
The standard of the Durham uni side these days is desperate to what it was.

The simple truth is that most of the best young cricketers bypass going to uni these days and leave county academies and sign pro contracts with their counties. Its very rare to see a student playing for one of these uni sides who also represented England u19s.
15 years ago Durham uni would have 6 or 7 players who where attached to counties now there are lucky if they have 2. Even Cambridge and Oxford are struggling to lure students who are outstanding young cricketers.
The standard of the Durham uni side these days is desperate to what it was.

Agreed. I do think it is more down to the lads themselves than the counties though. Unless you are an obvious world beater, cricket is unlikely to have you set for life financially. I know 3 or 4 of the Durham lads who are looking to get a trade for when they finish cricket. You do still see the odd lad at uni who is at least affiliated to a county setup so they are prepared to work with a player getting an education. It would be a no brainer for me at 18 to go to uni, especially with the potential to play against county teams as a bit of a showcase.

Jack Clark opening the batting for Durham Uni - Ashington lad who I believe is still within the DCCC setup. Interested to see how he does.

Also interested to see how Jack McIver (Oxford) and Moin Ashraf (Leeds/Bradford) get on.

Last edited:
Jack Clark opening the batting for Durham Uni - Ashington lad who I believe is still within the DCCC setup. Interested to see how he does.

Also interested to see how Jack McIver (Oxford) and Moin Ashraf (Leeds/Bradford) get on.
Clark was released by Durham academy about 3 years ago. Been playing for Benwell Hill in premier league.

Doing fine 2-36 off 17 including wicket of Borthwick. Local lad I assume?

Leicestershire bowled out for less than 200 at home to a uni today.

Can you place a bet on the team to finish bottom? :lol:

They really are hopeless at 4 day cricket.

Aussie mate.

Sure he's played 2nd Team in the time since you say he was released.
He may have but he was released at 20 and then went to university has been on the county 2nd team circus trying to find a county without luck. Actually he is a great example of the type of player that play 1st class cricket for the universities these days, been through the academy system did not make the grade and then go to further education in the hope that some other county may pick them up.

Loughborough seem to have acquitted themselves well mind.

They really made Leicestershire look ordinary (most sides do these days) and they're more than competing with Derbyshire too.

Plus, last week they made over 500 against Northants :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back