University announcement to triple the size of its Medical school

6inarow

Winger
Logon or register to see this image

Expo SunderlandExpo Sunderland418 followers418 followers
35m • 35m •
Rousing stuff from Sir David Bell Vice Chancellor and CEO or University of Sunderland and a fantastic surprise announcement:
"The university is not in the business of living in the past and we firmly believe that the best days for the city and university are still to come.

"The university helps ensure the city is equipped with appropriately skilled graduates who want to remain living and working in the city. One example is the growth of our health related disciplines with thousands of students passing through our doors each year and ready to make a vital contribution to the NHS in Sunderland and beyond.

"Our work has been growing each year, inducing the opening of our Medicine School in 2014. Next summer is a highly significant moment as we se eour first cohort of new doctors emerge in 2024.

"I’m delighted to announce publicly that the university has submitted an audacious bid to central government to triple the size of our medical school, which if successful, will see us recruit 300 students every year as opposed to 100. Such expansion will enable more opportunities for students from Sunderland and the North East to train as doctors, given they are scandalously unrepresented in medical school numbers across the UK.

"But we will also attract students from elsewhere in the UK and abroad who will choose to make Sunderland their home in the years and decades ahead. The five NHS trusts across the region and local authorities are also backing us."
Activate to view larger image,

Activate to view larger image,

Because they've neglected it to the point that it's now closing and probably going to be demolished.

It's a building of cultural importance to the city and an absolute disgrace that it's been allowed to happen . Pure greed and incompetence

I thought they took it over from a community group / trust as a means to keep the building going?

It appears that there are inherent issues with the building and if you believe the uni they are subsidising the building to the tune of £1.7m a year and need to raise between £14m-£45m to rectify the issues. I may be wrong but I don’t think regular maintenance would have made a difference it sounds like a structural issue in the base build.

It’s a real shame that this is happening but should the uni foot that bill I’m not sure particularly it is never likely to be profitable. Needs to be funded / bailed out by central government or combined authority, who funded and built it originally.

Really proud moment. I remember all of the incredible hard work which went in behind the scenes to bring a medical school to Sunderland. For a while it seemed like a long shot, but a lot of very important people gave their support, putting their reputations on the line that this would deliver.

Most of them will never be know publicly, but some fantastic work

Back