United Airlines 777 - Emergency Landing

I can see this type of thing happening more often as we move back to international travel restrictions being relaxed.

The maintenance regime for in service aeroplanes has been a refined process for many years and many planes don’t have the chance to fully cool down between flights.

I’ll be glad to be wrong on this subject mind.

I presume if that falls off that’s it? Or would the weight imbalance not be a significant problem?

Mentioned on here before but I had an ex girlfriend whose parents died in an airliner crash. Watched a documentary on it many years later

If it fell off, the main concern would be the damage to the wing. Weight imbalance could be compensated for, so long as it didn't happen just before landing.

I presume if that falls off that’s it? Or would the weight imbalance not be a significant problem?

Mentioned on here before but I had an ex girlfriend whose parents died in an airliner crash. Watched a documentary on it many years later
Generally you could compensate for the weight by shifting the fluids within the aircraft to balance it. Depends on how much of the wing it takes with it - didn’t look significant in that one. The plane would glide down to earth so you don’t really need an engine to land it as the momentum takes it down, provided there is somewhere to land within range of course

Back