Unintentionally Injuring Yourself

Been doing some painting on a door frame and used a chair to stand on to reach the top, left it for a few hours to dry with the chair still there. Needed to get something out of the room so instead of moving the chair decided to hurdle it in single bound it not realising the gap between the top of the chair and the door frame was a lot less than my height, I was out cold for some and had a corking bump on my head.

Crashed into someone in a cyclocross race after only about 3 minutes. Wiped us both out. My fault entirely. Tried to jump back onto my bike, only for my knee to give way. Couple of dozen nettle stings and a knackered knee and ankle were dulled pretty quick by the adrenalin. Raced for another 45 minutes, coming off another 2 times. 5 minutes after the race, the pain returned. Nettle stings hurt for a few hours, ankle knacked for a week, but my knee after three and a half weeks, is still very weak, though now usable.
Other stuff ? About 4 years ago i fell off my bike at Hartlepool Marina, and smashed my head off the deck. Smashed my helmet and after lying on the road for about 10 minutes, was still seeing stars. Vertigo at the time and a few episodes since. On the bright side, i've never broken a bone, so consider myself fortunate.

Considered giving up the cycling Marra?

Worst injury was probably knacking all my ankle ligaments (i suspect) on the first day of the 6 weeks holidays as a kid. I say that I suspect, as being 15 and still made somewhat of rubber, I never went to the docs; just spent the next few months hobbling about the place with a space hopper for a lower leg.

The way it happened was pure idiocy too. Jumping about outside a mates house, thought i'd try a slam dunk on his porch roof, foot landed in a hole and I fell over (foot still in hole). For some reason I attempted to pull my foot out of the hole by twisting and falling over the other way :oops:

Suppose that's what I get for playing basketball instead of football like a normal kid :p

Was replacing some skirting boards in the last house.

Decided to snap the old ones up to burn in the chiminea.

Put one against the step, stamped on it, one half pivoted up and I got two nails stuck in my thigh.

Tattie.
Don't know why but that's tickled me :lol::lol:

Last edited:
At the local hospital now after trying to decapitate one of my fingers between a 75kg casting and a granite block

Opened car door and dropped the keys. Bent down to pick keys up and slipped, took two front teeth clean out on the top of the car door. It hurt.

on a similar theme I bent down near the car door and didn't realise it had closed slightly. It was a frameless door and my eye went straight into the top angle of the glass and put a 1" cut on my eyelid. Looking back (lol) I was lucky not to lose an eye.

At the local hospital now after trying to decapitate one of my fingers between a 75kg casting and a granite block

bet that nipped! hope they can fix it up mate

To answer your question, No. First paragraph was a race. You have to push yourself to the limit. Shit happens.

No. I'm steering wheel clear of them. I'd probably fail.
Managed a spectacular fall on my bike last week. Got road rash all down my right leg and a big bruise. I’m dead tough though so I got back on and carried on for another 35km. Changing gear to go up a hill and the derailleur went through the wheel. Looking at around a $300 repair now.

Managed a spectacular fall on my bike last week. Got road rash all down my right leg and a big bruise. I’m dead tough though so I got back on and carried on for another 35km. Changing gear to go up a hill and the derailleur went through the wheel. Looking at around a $300 repair now.

That would have me in tears.
Never mind though, get your RR on FB and show it off.

Lol....see and there is where common sense and life experiences kick in........but second attempt? :rolleyes:

Were you dropped on the head as a baby...... Catchie catchie with knifey :oops::eek::rolleyes::lol:

That is where we differ from lasses they:

1. Would not knock it or drop it.
2. Would not entertain trying to catch
a falling knife
3. Would have purchased a better
balanced knife from the off!

:eek::rolleyes::lol::lol:
:lol:
I used to have a very small kitchen in our old house and not a lot of counter space. I use a lot of dishes and utensils when I cook, so the overcrowded counter would result in various items being knocked off

Our new home has a huge kitchen and lots of counter space, so no more crowding problems:cool:

Put a Stanley knife in my pocket and forgot about it, a few minutes later I just brushed my arm against my leg and ended up with a deep 5 inch long gash just above my wrist.
I did that but with a gasket scraper... It was pointing upwards in my pocket when I rammed my hands in.

It sliced from the tip of my little finger to the bone. Bled for days.

Do they have derailleurs on tricycles these days? ;)

Hope you are not too badly battered bonny lad.

Last edited:
Carrier bag full of bottles of ale hanging off sons pushchair. Heavy bag begins to pull pushchair over. I grab top of bag (and neck of bottle) just as it hits the floor and smashes. Bottle break occurs directly under finger.

Four stitches.

You know how most normal people have maybe one or two entries in their work’s accident report book?

I think @Albay3037 may be the only person I know who probably filled an entire book just by himself:

Knocking himself out on a filing cabinet, falling down stairs, falling up stairs, getting hit by a car leaving work, etc.

Not to mention he managed to get himself in hotel accident book on the day where he had his wedding reception :rolleyes:

And not to leave his wife left out, she’s had to drive him to A&E a few times because of various DIY accidents....

Last edited:
You know how most normal people have maybe one or two entries in their work’s accident report book?

I think @Albay3037 may be the only person I know who probably filled an entire book just by himself:

Knocking himself out on a filing cabinet, falling down stairs, falling up stairs, getting hit by a car leaving work, etc.

Not to mention he managed to get himself in hotel accident book on the day where he had his wedding reception :rolleyes:

And not to leave his wife left out, she’s had to drive him to A&E a few times because of various DIY accidents....

H’way thats a Lie! She’s only ever had to drive me A&E once, when I stabbed myself in the leg while cutting carpet........ the rest is true though :lol:

Worst injury was probably knacking all my ankle ligaments (i suspect) on the first day of the 6 weeks holidays as a kid. I say that I suspect, as being 15 and still made somewhat of rubber, I never went to the docs; just spent the next few months hobbling about the place with a space hopper for a lower leg.

The way it happened was pure idiocy too. Jumping about outside a mates house, thought i'd try a slam dunk on his porch roof, foot landed in a hole and I fell over (foot still in hole). For some reason I attempted to pull my foot out of the hole by twisting and falling over the other way :oops:

Suppose that's what I get for playing basketball instead of football like a normal kid :p

Don't know why but that's tickled me :lol::lol:

The Mrs watched me do it. Nearly pissed herself laughing.

Clashed heads with someone while playing football. I came down with his two front teeth embedded in my forehead. Hurt.

Knocked myself out with a tennis racquet once....

Back