Unhealthy Lifestyles

Hardly surprising with all the clips you see waddling around these days.
We did a city-break to Lisbon recently, and we didn't see one fat Lisboner. The place is all hills and everybody gets plenty of excercise! The only fatties we saw had just got off a cruise ship, and the only mobility scooter had a massive Lancashire lass onboard. (Some didn't even get off the ship- just looked at Lisbon from the top deck restaurant!)
It amazes me how some people think a twenty minute walk is too long and would rather get in the car.

Well certainly cooking things from scratch, doesn't have to be complicated, just getting used to actually producing something basic to eat. We need to change the culture of the country regarding food and I think this could help.

A service year is something I've supported for ages, without including the guns and other weapons I am 100% in favour of the government exploring the idea of a service year for all children when they get to 16 in which they will spend a year cooking for themselves as part of it.

I was being facetious with the living skills, seems like an absolute no-brainer to me to teach financial, social and nutrition at school.

Not keen on the service stuff mind, seems repressive.

I'm not arguing that but if someone just ate 3 pieces a day would it make a huge difference and what evidence can there possibly be to say baring in mind it's quite a recent thing to long term effects?
Its all a generalisation because Dave who did all the good things dropped dead at 51 but they obviously collected data and get to a tipping point where the 5 veg a day keeps the averages in the right ball park.4 or 3 not so etc .We never sit on a Monday groaning "too much veg,never again"

pension age got shifted to shaft daft twats like you man, Oh and don't believe everything the mainstream tell you, they constantly lie.

:lol:

Look at all data charts, notice which way the line travels?

All those gravestones lying as well? :lol:

Science keeps us living longer. It's a fact. And you're either on a wind up or on the way out.

Last edited:
I don't know, maybe you're right. Seems to me folk see what they too and won't be told otherwise.

Slipping standards may be a worry but more complex than merely shaming someone. Id argue that should someone actually need shaming; they're too far gone to have an act of degridation turn everything around.

Society can put quite a pressure on people to conform.

Well... if you read it on here. I agree.

Catch is, silly old Teed took your post, which rightly points out people are living unhealthy lifestyles and wrongly concluded we arent living as long as we were in the good old days. Silly sod forgot about advances in science and evidence proving we are keeping the clips hanging on in there.

Society can put quite a pressure on people to conform.

Society has put pressure on people to conform to social media and celebrities. I wouldn't trust that lot as far as I could throw them.

Even if it were the case, whom decides where and why the pressure would be applied, being unfit maybe, grass uncut when both homeowners work all hours of the day seems unfair, house owners have kids out of wedlock would have happened once upon a time.

Teach folk the best you can at a young age I reckon; everything else is down to choice. If they're not inspired or have low standards, it's not for someone else to decide to make them conform imo.

Society has put pressure on people to conform to social media and celebrities. I wouldn't trust that lot as far as I could throw them.

Even if it were the case, whom decides where and why the pressure would be applied, being unfit maybe, grass uncut when both homeowners work all hours of the day seems unfair, house owners have kids out of wedlock would have happened once upon a time.

Teach folk the best you can at a young age I reckon; everything else is down to choice. If they're not inspired or have low standards, it's not for someone else to decide to make them conform imo.

Nobody decides, the zeitgeist just changes. I'm a fairly liberal fella and if people want to be fat slobs, I'm not going to stop them.It makes me feel better anyway.

Conforming is similar to putting people on ignore here as I said earlier, a sign of weakness.

You conform to society like everyone else.

Great post in the HYS bit

"My mother never smoked, barely drank, exercised a lot, was never close to being overweight; she's now enjoying the benefits of a long life, spending £60,000 a year on a care home to sit in pain, incontinent in a chair, whilst sliding into dementia and telling me she wishes she was dead."

Looks like it could sit happily on the Viz Letter page it be edited to a top tip

I was being facetious with the living skills, seems like an absolute no-brainer to me to teach financial, social and nutrition at school.

Not keen on the service stuff mind, seems repressive.
Well I should explain, I think something like national service but take away the weaponry element.

In that time you are camped with a group of individuals all from different backgrounds or parts of the country via a seeding system. Everyone has to do it regardless of wealth or education.

You live away from home and you do studying, phyisical training, team competition, cook everything from scratch and bonding.

I just think a lot of peoples views, prejudices, vices, lifestyles and lack of personal responsibility is built around never experiencing anything other than their own little life.

I'm not saying it is THE answer, I just think it should be investigated and explored to see if it would be workable.

Catch is, silly old Teed took your post, which rightly points out people are living unhealthy lifestyles and wrongly concluded we arent living as long as we were in the good old days. Silly sod forgot about advances in science and evidence proving we are keeping the clips hanging on in there.
Well it's the issue with society in general, we look for the easiest possible answer when things are often more complicated.

Nobody decides, the zeitgeist just changes. I'm a fairly liberal fella and if people want to be fat slobs, I'm not going to stop them.It makes me feel better anyway.

You conform to society like everyone else.

Depends, society has lots of aspects I don't conform to as well as some I do.

Back