Unexpected chip shop stories

Mr Lees seems to have legendary status within the withwrwack community. I have seen it but was closed so never had the pleasure. What is it like ? What were the legendary 10p bag of chips ( if he took over early 80’s - 10p was dirt cheap for chips even then ). Is it just cheap massive portions and no quality ? I will go next time I’m home.

Mr Lees seems to have legendary status within the withwrwack community. I have seen it but was closed so never had the pleasure. What is it like ? What were the legendary 10p bag of chips ( if he took over early 80’s - 10p was dirt cheap for chips even then ). Is it just cheap massive portions and no quality ? I will go next time I’m home.

It is many years since I was last in there but I remember that he used to give you free chips to eat whilst waiting in the queue to buy chips.

Absolutely full of 🥔.

Which shop ?
It was in the 90's at a place called 'Trevelgue Holiday Park' just outside Newquay. I think its called 'Newquay Bay Resort' now. The only place in North Cornawall that would take big groups of young un's so was chaos most of the time. The owner was a proper hard nosed Greek bloke who owned a few hotels in Newquay. I'm not even sure it was Hake that came out, think it was Saithe (Pollock)

Told the woman off in bells in Durham market place for giving a drunk Andy Reid a couple battered sausages, demanded she changed them to salad

Same fish shop I met Bally, his missus was adamant it wasn’t him but he gave me a little wink so I gave him a hug

Pretty sure it was still Bimbis when Reid was at SAFC.

Never heard scraps as a kid in sunderland, always asked for extra batter.

Correct. Never heard it ever called scraps. They just say "do you want batter?" and the reply is "aye".
Never heard it said in sunderland in my life.

This. Embarrassing.

Great place. But sure he got rumbled for using shite (not actual) to make the chips. Delish.

Last edited:
The idea of fish and chips is wonderful - the reality is your stomach full of fat, starch and 4 day old fish. (if you are lucky)

I'm out.

Ribs is what you want - slow cooked - meat hanging off the bone

Saw a bloke drink half a bottle of vinegar from a bottle on the counter in the chip shop that used to be on Beaumont Street. He was just laughing about it and that. Can't stand vinegar me so it's a memory that's always stuck in my mind as proper minging.
:lol: class
My mate's brother worked on the phones in Savoy taxis next door and would regularly get people coming in chemist asking for a bag of chips etc :lol:

Saw a bloke drink half a bottle of vinegar from a bottle on the counter in the chip shop that used to be on Beaumont Street. He was just laughing about it and that. Can't stand vinegar me so it's a memory that's always stuck in my mind as proper minging.
saw the same thing in the silver grid in Pallion when vinegar was dispensed from an old dirty pop bottle.

Back