Unemployment shooting up

Not really, their profits could be impacted by many a factor, I don’t think it’s lack of margin or revenue on their services. They could be taking the opportunity to pay down debt, purchase new vehicles, acquiring other businesses etc.
None of that goes through your profit, it's all on your balance sheet. It's not a lack of revenue, it is a lack of margin and increased overheads. It's because they don't make money on cremation without ceremony of which there have been a lot. They make money on providing limousines, and providing a service for dozens of people, none of which has happened until recently but they have had to pay for PPE for staff, increased levels of sickness and making their premises as safe as possible for their employees.

The share price did alright, guess the results weren't as bad as analysts expected:
"For the 26 week period ended 26 June 2020, the company reported a pre-tax loss of £13.6m compared with a profit of £58.3m on-year, while revenue rose 12% to £197.1m."

Which backs up the point I made, there are more funerals but funeral directors aren't profiting from it.
Kicking myself I didn’t buy when I was looking at around 230. Up to 628 today.

Kicking myself I didn’t buy when I was looking at around 230. Up to 628 today.
Bit of an odd one to be honest, CMA not enforcing cost controls sounds great but on the other hand it's probably not necessary because the ASP per funeral is so low due to covid restrictions on how many people can attend. And then longer term they haven't ruled out introducing them, people are shopping around more and more people are choosing cremation without ceremony which they can't make any money on. I can't say I've followed their share price at all but I think there's a fundamental shift in the market and funeral homes won't be as profitable as they were. So I get why the price would go up but I'm surprised by how much.

Back