Unemployment shooting up

The high street has been in rapid decline way before this started.
I know that man ! nothing like what is going to happen- no rent holidays for many will force them to pull the plug, throw the keys through the letterbox and walk away.
Those that still used it are now used to online/delivery, less office staff nipping out for a few bits. General fear of entering public spaces., more restaurants and takeaways using dark kitchens, etc.
They will be ghost towns.

I know that man ! nothing like what is going to happen- no rent holidays for many will force them to pull the plug, throw the keys through the letterbox and walk away.
Those that still used it are now used to online/delivery, less office staff nipping out for a few bits. General fear of entering public spaces., more restaurants and takeaways using dark kitchens, etc.
plus side is more capacity for charity shops,cafe/coffee shops/greggs,kfc,mcDs,subway,spoons 😀

We are social creatures. The high street will change and adapt, it'll never die off.

Not going to be easy for any sector during this next couple of years though.

I don't know why people aren't expecting absolute carnage. Its inevitable.
Loads of businesses were barely scraping by in the first place.

The JRS is great and all, but there's no job to go back to if the entire business has collapsed.

It’s going be shite for me even if I keep my job. Things weren’t great before this with job cuts last year. I’d say it’s inevitable more cuts are coming meaning that even if you keep your job, there will be fewer people to do the same amount of work.

It’s going be shite for me even if I keep my job. Things weren’t great before this with job cuts last year. I’d say it’s inevitable more cuts are coming meaning that even if you keep your job, there will be fewer people to do the same amount of work.
There’ll be a lot that will have to swallow wage reductions too, to keep their jobs.
Not going to be comfortable times for millions of people as we come out of this, especially those who are mortgaged to the hilt and all the other things that people have financial strains with like lease cars and all the rest

Last edited:
There’s a shit load more that are on furlough that are now unemployed but don’t even know it yet. I’d be worried sick if I worked privately. We will adapt that’s for sure but it’ll be a mess for a long period.
Yep. I'm actually thinking the real reason they kept furlough till October is to try to stem the flow of people on to jobseekers. By adjusting the calculation some employers might be able to keep some people on while they try to save their business. Others will know the business is gone and won't want to contribute to furlough.
But by October it'll be awful.

Last edited:
The high street hasnt managed to adapt so far.
It has. It has changed a lot. We don’t rely on it like we used to but the high street was bourne out of necessity back in the day. Now it’s a social event. A lot of shops have changed beyond recognition. HMV for example. People still like to go out and try shoes on, clothes, glasses, have a rake round H&M and TK MAXX.

Haven’t many pulled the plug due to greedy landlords anyway.
All this seems to be going to do is taking away the slow painful death.
The high street hasnt managed to adapt so far.

Almost an impossible task.

Last edited:
There’ll be a lot that will have to swallow wage reductions too, to keep their jobs.
Not going to be comfortable times for millions of people as we come out of this, especially those who are mortgaged to the hilt and all the other things that people have financial strains with like lease cars and all the rest
Leased cars must be a huge problem. Can you hand the keys back on these things?

Yep. I'm actually thinking the real reason they kept furlough till October is to try to stem the flow of people on to jobseekers. By adjusting the calculation some employers might be able to keep some people on while they try to save their business. Others will know the business is gone and won't want to contribute to furlough.
But by October it'll be awful.
I dare say that will be a factor aye. The hospitality industry is fucked. There will be restaurants that were struggling anyway that won’t be able to pay back the loans on offer and will decide have to close for good once their furlough ends. If and when it goes down to 60% people will be forced to decide if they can continue on it. If it goes to 60% just before Christmas loads of people will start to panic.

Leased cars must be a huge problem. Can you hand the keys back on these things?
No idea, but I’d imagine it’s a big chunk of change every month for those struggling.
There’ll be plenty of couples have a couple of leased cars sitting on the drive as well
I’d imagine @LINGsCARS knows the ins and outs of the whole thing

Haven’t many pulled the plug due to greedy landlords anyway.
All this seems to be going to do is taking away the slow painful death.

Almost an impossible task.
People have been saying this for years. It’s still there. Artisan and unique brands have adapted and done well for themselves. There’s still a place for a high street. If the likes of Hartlepools Main Shopping Centre fails then it’s because nobody wants it. It’ll be no loss in that case.

Back