Underrated bands from the 90's.

Name an album that beats definitely maybe that has come out since then.
:lol::lol:

This is a challenge that will take @fyl2u days to complete. I fully expect one of the longest posts in SMB history as he lists every album he's bought in the last 25 years.

Tool - Lateralus

There's one.

What year was DM? I can probably list one from every year between then and now. ;)

Flippant drunken comment I made years ago trying to indicate how shit Oasis were at writing songs. It's still true, like.

Last edited:
Tool - Lateralus

There's one.

What year was DM? I can probably list one from every year between then and now. ;)

Flippant drunken comment I made years ago trying to indicate how shit Oasis were at writing songs. It's still true, like.
I thought we were talking British but fair enough. That album simply does not have the impact, resonance or longevity in America that Definitely Maybe had over here. Next.

I thought we were talking British but fair enough. That album simply does not have the impact, resonance or longevity in America that Definitely Maybe had over here. Next.

Impact, resonance and longevity?

Sold over half a million copies in its first week of release, sending it straight to #1 in the album charts, went double platinum in the US, and was voted Loudwire's #1 hard rock/metal album of the 21st century, won a Grammy for best metal performance for one of the singles, and was Kerrang's album of the year 2001.

You might not like the genre but it is one of the greatest metal albums of all time, which is an impressive boast for an album that came out in the 2000's.

Impact, resonance and longevity?

Sold over half a million copies in its first week of release, sending it straight to #1 in the album charts, went double platinum in the US, and was voted Loudwire's #1 hard rock/metal album of the 21st century, won a Grammy for best metal performance for one of the singles, and was Kerrang's album of the year 2001.

You might not like the genre but it is one of the greatest metal albums of all time, which is an impressive boast for an album that came out in the 2000's.
And yet it hasn't had the same impact, resonance or longevity in america as Definitely Maybe had here. Compare the sales, the awards and the cultural impact. It doesn't come close.

And yet it hasn't had the same impact, resonance or longevity in america as Definitely Maybe had here. Compare the sales, the awards and the cultural impact. It doesn't come close.

These are shite criteria for what makes a good album. If all we're talking about are sales and awards then you would have to concede that Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill was a far superior album to Definitely Maybe. (As were Shania Twain's Come On Over and Celine Dion's Falling Into You, and that's just one from each year for the period of 1995-97)

I mean, Jagged Little Pill was a better album than Definitely Maybe anyway, but using your criteria it's very clear, whereas for my own criteria for what makes a good album I would point towards technical ability of the musicians, dynamics of the performances from the most delicate to the most powerful sections, range of emotions conveyed, depth in the lyrics, use of clever classical composition techniques in the songwriting...

These are shite criteria for what makes a good album. If all we're talking about are sales and awards then you would have to concede that Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill was a far superior album to Definitely Maybe. (As were Shania Twain's Come On Over and Celine Dion's Falling Into You, and that's just one from each year for the period of 1995-97)

I mean, Jagged Little Pill was a better album than Definitely Maybe anyway, but using your criteria it's very clear, whereas for my own criteria for what makes a good album I would point towards technical ability of the musicians, dynamics of the performances from the most delicate to the most powerful sections, range of emotions conveyed, depth in the lyrics, use of clever classical composition techniques in the songwriting...
I would say the ultimate criteria is which album had the most impact on the people at the time. Definitely maybe helped define a generation.

Cardiacs.

Thoughts @fyl2u ? At least better than the Wonderstuff, right?

Interesting stuff! I don't think I've heard them before, although I think I've heard their name. Would definitely listen to more.

"Better than The Wonder Stuff?". I don't think I'd go that far, although it's probably better than their latest album. I think I'd probably rate most of TWS's first 2 albums and 4th album above it along with a handful of later tracks and a couple from the 3rd album.

I would say the ultimate criteria is which album had the most impact on the people at the time. Definitely maybe helped define a generation.

Only for the people that liked it. For people that didn't like it, it was dreary, poorly written, poorly performed pub-band pseudo-indie-rock that wasn't fit to lace the boots of the indie/alternative bands that came before them from the UK or the US.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff! I don't think I've heard them before, although I think I've heard their name. Would definitely listen to more.

"Better than The Wonder Stuff?". I don't think I'd go that far, although it's probably better than their latest album. I think I'd probably rate most of TWS's first 2 albums and 4th album above it along with a handful of later tracks and a couple from the 3rd album.

Only for the people that liked it. For people that didn't like it, it was dreary, poorly written, poorly performed pub-band pseudo-indie-rock that wasn't fit to lace the boots of the indie/alternative bands that came before them from the UK or the US.
It was f***ing amazing :cool:

Back