Underrated bands from the 90's.

Saw Gene half a dozen times in the 90s. Terrific. They weren't really that much like The Smiths looking back on it but they were the nearest comparison. Ironic that it was used as a stick to beat them with by people who lapped up whatever Oasisalike shite they were presented with.
Just remembered I saw them in Southend Esplanade, must have been 1996. Good times.

That and Spinal Meningitis are the tracks I always skip on “Chocolate and Cheese”. Love “Voodoo Lady” and “Freedom of 76” though.
I'd never heard of them until this came up on my FB timeline. I thought it was hilarious, and I don't even watch Eastenders! I should probably give the rest of their stuff a go at some point.

True indie music seemed to end when britpop came along with oasis and blur around 94.
It was a bit contrived after that. Lots of the music mid-90s onwards hasn't dated well.

I see what you did there. Very clever. To be fair, I loved Definitely Maybe when it was released. They never bettered this though. Despite what people may think...

Correct. Superb rocking love song and their best piece of work.

One of the few bands I've ever heard that I've thought were even shitter than Oasis.

You've got to flyyyyyy.

Piss off, you whiney fucker and learn how to sing. Awful awful band.

Nee offence like.

You've got to fly
You've got to fly
You've got to fly
It's just like flying through the air

:lol:

True indie music seemed to end when britpop came along with oasis and blur around 94.
It was a bit contrived after that. Lots of the music mid-90s onwards hasn't dated well.

My feelings exactly. Indie used to be good. Better than good, it was a movement you could believe in, where integrity mattered more than catchy melodies or trying to fit in with the existing bands in the genre.

Then the major labels noticed it was selling, signed up a load of shit pub bands that used similar guitar sounds but were vapid and commercial, relabelled it Britpop and ruined the whole f***ing movement forever.

Back