Underrated Albums

Dalis Car The Waking Hour

Never liked Bauhaus much but Murphy & Karn worked well together as musicians. (Although never seemed to get on much)

I suppose most of my favourite albums are "underrated" to some extent.

Ladyhawke - Ladyhawke
It came out with a bit of hype but seemed to get forgotten about quite quickly

Warren Zevon - Life'll Kill Ya
Almost as good as Excitable Boy IMO

Ben Lee - Awake is the New Sleep
A flawless indie-pop record, did ok in Australia but was roundly ignored everywhere else

Last edited:
The Psychedelic Furs-The Psychedelic Furs. Their first album. Proper raw n edgy and nowt like the sanitised mtv rock they came out with later. It's the only album of there's I like.
The Delays-Faded Seaside Glamour. Proper Indieish English summer seaside soundtrack. A work of great beauty. The sort of thing The Smiths are lauded for only better.
Aerosmith-Toys In The Attic. Their first album and again nowt like the sanitised aor and mtv stuff they became famous for. Like a turbo charged Rolling Stones in some places. It's the only thing of there's I like.

Great shout. Rate their second album too but dodgy after that.

Green on Red for example. Wonderful band. Can only find most of their stuff on You Tube now.

Green On Red, The Long Ryders and The Dream Syndicate were the holy triumvirate of that scene. Rain Parade not far behind...

Saw them at Sheffield University - must have been 84/85 - there were very good live

Sid Griffin still tours over here regularly either with The Coal Porters or solo. Well worth seeing...

The National - High Violet, and even more so Trouble Will Find Me.
Boxer seems to get most of the plaudits, with the occasional nod to Alligator. Hardly anyone mentions the first two releases.
Their albums have got progressively better IMO. There'll probably be a decline with the next one now I've said that.

The Stone Roses - Second Coming. A tremendous record, barely scrapes a mention in comparison to the debut.

Green On Red, The Long Ryders and The Dream Syndicate were the holy triumvirate of that scene. Rain Parade not far behind...

Sid Griffin still tours over here regularly either with The Coal Porters or solo. Well worth seeing...
I love the Dream Syndicates first album. Don't think I've heard any others.

Back