Under 30s spending less that 2001 counterparts

It seems like today’s under-30s are spending less on non-housing related items than those in the same age bracket were in 2001.

Under-30s 'spend less than same age group in 2001' Today's under-30s 'spending less'

I’ve not looked into the underlying figures but certainly runs counter to the oft repeated argument that millennials spend too much of their wage on frivolous items to afford to buy a home.

Edit: and if a mod could correct the typo in the title that would be grand :p
In my experience they are miles more sensible with their money than we were at that age. To the point where I grief the younguns at work for being right boring buggers. Got their heads screwed on is closer to the truth mind.

Surely not? Who would marry someone not willing to leave their parents’ house? Unless they’re both having to live there temporarily to save.

I know lad like that. Moved in with his lass & her mother. As it was a council house, ended up buying it under right to buy dead cheap. Couldnt imagine living with the MiL or parents as an adult in a relationship

I know lad like that. Moved in with his lass & her mother. As it was a council house, ended up buying it under right to buy dead cheap. Couldnt imagine living with the MiL or parents as an adult in a relationship

I’ve known one couple do it and it was for about a year and a half whilst they made a last push toward saving a deposit for their own place.

They hated it but it served a purpose.

I’ve known one couple do it and it was for about a year and a half whilst they made a last push toward saving a deposit for their own place.

They hated it but it served a purpose.
The bairn will do it for a year once she gets her first nursing post. She doesn't want to but she can get a decent deposit together. My Mam was as laidback as you could wish for but no had to leave by 20 and I went to Sunderland poly.
Everyone is different I suppose.

I always smile when my neighbours 22 year old son says him and his girlfriend can't afford a house. Despite both paying £400 a month lease for a Mercedes C Class car.

I live on a new build estate with usual mix of houses from 2 bed terraces to 4 bed detacheds. I always find it a bit odd that so many of the cheaper houses have flash cars on their drives. Priorities are just so wrong.

I live on a new build estate with usual mix of houses from 2 bed terraces to 4 bed detacheds. I always find it a bit odd that so many of the cheaper houses have flash cars on their drives. Priorities are just so wrong.

Why? It’s not a race to the biggest most expensive house. A big house might not suit people’s lifestyle.

I could have bought somewhere bigger but I live on my own, I’m not actually in the house much and just don’t have the time to maintain a bigger place than the one I have now. So what would be the point?

That said I don’t have a flash car either.

The report is a bit amiguous. On the sub header on the BBC it talks about 'fun' spend, then it changes to non housing spend.

So it they are genuinly spending less, or just having fun less so that spent on travel (ie cars) has been excluded or not?

We need more info & detailed breakdown.

He built his own flat next to his parents. They had a big double garage so he thought it a good idea to build his own place above the garage with his own bathroom and stuff. It's the best of both worlds really.

Absolutely mental.

You don’t have to say anything tbh.

Just think “Oh aye everyone I know leases a Ferrari 458, has holidays on the moon and has daily pomegranate juice enemas.” Doesn’t really advance the discussion much.

Have you been using yourself as a test subject in the lab or something?

Utter drivel.

Last edited:
I know loads of people like that from back home. Giving it the big’un about their cars, nights out and holidays. Live in their ma’s spare room. They don’t realise how tragic they are.

Would you rather live with your parents but have loads of nights out, holidays and a nice car, or have your own place but have fewer nights out, holidays and a worse or no car?

(I don’t live with my parents and haven’t lived with my parents since I went to uni)

disposable income must have something to do with it ! I look back at my payslips from the noughties, amd I'm not on much more in terms of net pay all these years on :eek: it's shocking really, and opens your eyes up when you see it in black and white

disposable income must have something to do with it ! I look back at my payslips from the noughties, amd I'm not on much more in terms of net pay all these years on :eek: it's shocking really, and opens your eyes up when you see it in black and white

The pound worth less now also

Must admit my brother law who is in his late 30s moved his lass in to his mother's house. Bedrooms next door to each other. Could you imagine having sex and your mother is in the next room? Month in month out?
Struck me as utterly weird tbh.
Thing is both him and his lass could well afford to rent or put a deposit down on somewhere modest but seemed to prefer to have all the home comforts, the holidays, the cars, the clothes..

I've posted before that I was speaking to a prison guard a year or two ago. He was saying the starting wage now isn't much more gross than it was in the late 1980's, and they've stripped back pay progression, pensions etc.

That's just one profession but there will be others. All the while inflation goes up so it's no wonder equivalent age people are spending less than before.

Must admit my brother law who is in his late 30s moved his lass in to his mother's house. Bedrooms next door to each other. Could you imagine having sex and your mother is in the next room? Month in month out?
Struck me as utterly weird tbh.
Thing is both him and his lass could well afford to rent or put a deposit down on somewhere modest but seemed to prefer to have all the home comforts, the holidays, the cars, the clothes..
Might not want to leave his mam alone. I would prefer my own space.

7% less,have clothes,moby's ,bait ,leisure etc not become cheaper as times gone on ?

I always smile when people ignore general trends in favour of personal experience.

Not me!

I waste mine on expensive tramp-juice.
90% of people wouldn't smile at that

Last edited:
Unsurprising. I've just bought a 2 bed flat in London for around £100k more than my parents paid for a four bed detached nearby back in 2000.

Since I went to Uni in 2008 it's felt like the country has just been walking through mud with regards to the economy. Nothing's really improved, services aren't great, council tax is expensive, prices have continued to rise despite no "real term" wage increases. It's been a shit decade all in all.

How do these sad cases that live with their parents fuck?

I can’t fuck my lass over hers as one of her kids is always in so we spend most our time at my house. Do they just not have sex?

Back