Under 25s turning backs on alcohol?

• Thread starter Deleted member 30853
  • Start date
Good stuff. Do you mind if I ask how old you are?

For me I'm trying to cut right back rather than quit totally. I still like a pint or 3 with my mates after 5-A-Side on Thursdays. I like a glass of wine over dinner if I'm out. But apart from that I could just stop drinking alcohol for the rest of the time and I intend to.

I am 33, To answer your question. As for the rest of the above each to their own mate, but if the generation below me believes in keeping away from drink maybe it's a good thing long term. Plus you hear about these non alcoholic drinks these days, I had a few of them quite good actually.

This is what the lad I knew said. His young employees would spend their wages on games and other things and might buy a few cans if there was money left over. A club a couple of times a month was thrown in as I said.

This tells me the pub trade has to evolve to offer more than booze, with special food nights and other entertainment becoming the norm to keep people interested.
I was in Sardinia earlier this year and in one bar the lad came over with the drinks menu and the games menu. Just about every board game under the sun. Loads of tables of late teens early twenties in groups playing trivs n monopoly and risk etc etc

Walking the dog in the park last Friday night suggests the youth of Chester le Street haven't. Was funny to see but I bet some of the parents got a nice surprise later

I think lads would rather sit in their bedrooms now playing fifa well into their late 20’s than getting themselves into mischief.

Parents will love it but it’s not very healthy for their mental health .

Our eldest is 21 and its very rare he has a drink, he would much rather have a smoke and play games on the play station with his mates, they all got together on sat/sun to watch the UFC fight and there was not a drop of alcohol in the place, just a smoke filled room, and to be honest im happier that he would rather have a smoke than a drink, I can only remember him twice coming in drunk in his life upto now, and that seems strange to me as we were on it thur-sun night when I was younger.

There is no need to go to the pub to socialize these days. They're doing it from their fingertips. It's evolving naturally. Unless the identities of pubs as we know them evolve with their market they'll drop away. Virtually every pub and club here has a decent bistro otherwise they'd die.

Given the cost of housing etc. - (and the cost of a pint)

Maybe they've decided they have more important things to spend their money on. ?
Cost of housing :lol:

That old chestnut of an excuse .Credits never been so cheap and the amount of houses sub £120k in the northeast are in abundance .
The real truth from what I see is they Havnt got the drive to leave home ,Mam and Dads house is free ,not put the effort in /overtime at work /not give up the £400 a month car/not give up the £70 a month phone /not give up the 3 holidays a year .

All that’s fine and I can’t blame them for doing that but as I say to the young lads at work ;if you really wanted to move out you could do it standing on your head .

Last edited by a moderator:
The binge drinking culture of 2005 - onwards was rancid imo, anything that puts paid to that is fine with me. Alcohol is fine but, like everything, should not be abused.

Cost of housing :lol:

That old chestnut of an excuse .Credits never been so cheap and the amount of houses sub £120k in the northeast are in abundance .
Tin hat on here maybe but it is not difficult for a working couple to buy a house in the North East, the problem people have is they spend and spend on things they don't need.

The binge drinking culture of 2005 - onwards was rancid imo, anything that puts paid to that is fine with me. Alcohol is fine but, like everything, should not be abused.

Tin hat on here maybe but it is not difficult for a working couple to buy a house in the North East, the problem people have is they spend and spend on things they don't need.
Correct ,I’ve done it myself when I was younger that’s why I’m so opinionated on this .

Couldn't believe it when my youngest step-daughter (23) came over on Sunday with her lad. She said that she was going to bring the Monopoly over but forgot, when I chuckled she told us that's what they do on weekends, either their place of their friends place. Meet up and play Monopoly til 2am or so on a weekend. No drink! I nearly keeled owa laughing.

Mind you, she was a right dodgepot as a mid teenager, necking vodka, getting nicked etc. so it's a good thing. So @TheWanderer I'm yours sure will come through it fine.

Hmm, weird one. I’m not under 25 but very close to that age bracket. All of my friends of a similar age do like to drink to greater or lesser extents. Maybe if I knew more people in their teens/very early 20s that picture would change.

That said, even when I was much younger I never liked the whole nightclub thing. Can’t hear anyone speak and you’re out until the early hours which is what really makes you feel like shit the next day. Nice long daytime session in a few pubs for me.

The article says less than a third don't drink but the chart says it is less than that

Nice long daytime session in a few pubs for me.
Whilst I agree, the benefit of a club night is you can squeeze it in whereas a day session on, say, a Saturday and that's almost the whole weekend gone

I’m 22 and the lads are all the same age. Some of them like the nightclub scene and will often go to Newcastle. Doesn’t bother me as I can’t bare the pretentious arseholes that go. As others have suggested, I much prefer a day session and be at home with a kebab by 10 o clock, and not feel awful for it the next day!

Back