Under 18's and 23's

He seemed a bit reluctant for the academy to stick to a specific style of football. He knows significantly more about this than me but I feel if we are to succeed on similar resources to other clubs we need to create a playing identity at the club and that, I feel, should start at the bottom.

He was just going on about that the kids should be comfortable with all styles of football. I get the reasoning but not sure I agree.

He also seemed to forever go on about opening the office space up. Came across something hes picked up at college. Not sure it makes any real difference.

I get that being a league 1 side hinders us. However, I'm not sure it's acceptable as a cat 1 academy for the under 18's to be on minus 21 goals after 5 games. They are clearly getting pummeled most matches. It doesn't bode well in terms of producing future first team players from that crop.

I do, however, think the new owners will see the academy as something that can help us compete at a higher level so hopefully we will see improvement in that area.
I totally agree with that up until U18S. They should be comfortable playing any style or system.

I totally agree with that up until U18S. They should be comfortable playing any style or system.
Is that the approach ajax for example take or do they drill their specific club way of playing football into players from a young age? I don't know the answer to be fair.

And my thinking probably stems from seeing sunderland side after sunderland side with a total lack of playing identity. Never better evidence than the current side.

Is that the approach ajax for example take or do they drill their specific club way of playing football into players from a young age? I don't know the answer to be fair.

And my thinking probably stems from seeing sunderland side after sunderland side with a total lack of playing identity. Never better evidence than the current side.
They try to develop players as people and let the football follow. Push them to get our of their comfort zone and get into a mindset of constantly wanting to learn and develop. As part of this they sometimes play players out of position to let them view the game from a different perspective. Something that is apparently destroying Mumba's career.

This link is to Cruyff Foundation and it's principles. They are basically the principles that Ajax adopt.

Last edited:

At Ajax kids aren't played in a set position or system. That's why so many of them are comfortable on the ball.

Thought what he had to say on that podcast was a shambles to be honest. Strategy appeared to be take office walls down and work out the coaching shifts.
:lol: :lol: He really did go on about taking the cabinets down and opening the office up! I'm not convinced by him.
They try to develop players as people and let the football follow. Push them to get our of their comfort zone and get into a mindset of constantly wanting to learn and develop. As part of this they sometimes play players out of position to let them view the game from a different perspective. Something that is apparently destroying Mumba's career.

This link is to Cruyff Foundation and it's principles. They are basically the principles that Ajax adopt.
Thanks for that mate.

:lol: :lol: He really did go on about taking the cabinets down and opening the office up! I'm not convinced by him.

Thanks for that mate.
No worries.

Can't say I remember too much about the podcast but there's a lot to be said for building bonds at the club and a great way of doing that is increasing contact, including physically and making the leaders at the club accessible. Tuchel has all of his players and staff great each other with hand shakes, pats on the shoulder to promote relationships and a strength of togetherness and respect for everyone at the club no matter their role. Pochettino does the same at Spurs. It's a little thing but there seems to be value in doing it, albeit there's obviously a hell of a lot more to improving a club than that.

There's something not working. We evidently have/had talented players in the Academy system as the top clubs are always sniffing about. It needs a proper restructure after the takeover.
Donald and co have offered any kid to anyone for whatever money apparently such is their desperation to balance the books imo .The coaches across the AOL might be shite I don’t know but what chance have they got .Look at the u18’s the other day having to bring a number of players into the team from the u15’s just to make the numbers up .

Donald and co have offered any kid to anyone for whatever money apparently such is their desperation to balance the books imo .The coaches across the AOL might be shite I don’t know but what chance have they got .Look at the u18’s the other day having to bring a number of players into the team from the u15’s just to make the numbers up .

That's fair comment mate. Seems to poor business model.

No worries.

Can't say I remember too much about the podcast but there's a lot to be said for building bonds at the club and a great way of doing that is increasing contact, including physically and making the leaders at the club accessible. Tuchel has all of his players and staff great each other with hand shakes, pats on the shoulder to promote relationships and a strength of togetherness and respect for everyone at the club no matter their role. Pochettino does the same at Spurs. It's a little thing but there seems to be value in doing it, albeit there's obviously a hell of a lot more to improving a club than that.

I'm all for the little things, Donald for one is fantastic at them. It's the bigger things that worry me.

Wasn’t impressed by Reid’s podcast for reasons others have already mentioned. The academy should have one aim and that’s to produce players capable of making an impact in our first team, if they fall short of that but manage a career in the game good on them.

There we go. That's clearly not right unless we have a massive injury list. As has been pointed out hopefully new owners sort it out with a bit money money allocated to it.

Donald needs to pay a lot more focus to the football side as well.
I'm all for the little things, Donald for one is fantastic at them. It's the bigger things that worry me.
I really would feel a lot more confident if donald moved away from employing mates he trusts and went for people with proven pedigree. Ultimately short failed due to who he employed. Donald has to take heed of that.

Last edited:

Back