Under 18's and 23's

I've just noticed, which many of you will be aware of, that both teams are bottom of their leagues.

What is going on there? What is that Paul Reid bringing to the table? Wasnt impressed when i heard him talk last season.

Got Bally trying to sell tickets and our youth teams appear to be struggling. Not sure that's right tbh.

at that level results tables and trophies are meaningless, getting players in the 1st team is all that should matter - Tony Carr, West Ham youth manager that bought through Lampard, Ferdinand, Cole, Carrick, Defoe and Johnson

at that level results tables and trophies are meaningless, getting players in the 1st team is all that should matter - Tony Carr, West Ham youth manager that bought through Lampard, Ferdinand, Cole, Carrick, Defoe and Johnson
Getting walloped 10-0 will hardly aid confidence and help us to attract and retain players.

I remember the FA Youth Cup winning days and when the England Youth team used to come to play ours.

Getting walloped 10-0 will hardly aid confidence and help us to attract and retain players.

I remember the FA Youth Cup winning days and when the England Youth team used to come to play ours.
yeah of course there is that if you have players good enough for the first team results will follow

fond memories of seeing our lads win the FA Youth Cup, led by Joe Cole and Michael Carrick, 6-0 in front of a sell out at the Boleyn, 9-0 on aggregate

The Lampard-Ferdinand side lost to Liverpool in the Final

I was quite impressed with what Paul Reid had to say, Bally less so.
He seemed a bit reluctant for the academy to stick to a specific style of football. He knows significantly more about this than me but I feel if we are to succeed on similar resources to other clubs we need to create a playing identity at the club and that, I feel, should start at the bottom.

He was just going on about that the kids should be comfortable with all styles of football. I get the reasoning but not sure I agree.

He also seemed to forever go on about opening the office space up. Came across something hes picked up at college. Not sure it makes any real difference.

We are a middle-ranking league one club - what did you expect? It’s a long way back after the fall we had.... keep the faith but lower your expectations
I get that being a league 1 side hinders us. However, I'm not sure it's acceptable as a cat 1 academy for the under 18's to be on minus 21 goals after 5 games. They are clearly getting pummeled most matches. It doesn't bode well in terms of producing future first team players from that crop.

I do, however, think the new owners will see the academy as something that can help us compete at a higher level so hopefully we will see improvement in that area.

Back