Under 12's banned from heading the ball (in training)

Most don't head the ball now, I go to watch my neices son who's 10, in all his games I think I've seen them head it twice, and that's both teams.

That's what I was thinking. I watch a decent amount of primary school football, and not much heading goes on at all really. But it might be different when playing for their clubs?

This is only in training - not in games.

Very sensible decision IMHO

The “updated Heading Guidance”, drawn up in conjunction with Uefa’s medical committee, states that children between the ages of 6 and 11 should no longer head the ball during training sessions. A “graduated approach” will be taken to children between the ages of 12 and 16, but there will be no limit applied to heading in matches for any age group.

The family of the former West Bromwich Albion striker Jeff Astle, who died in 2002 of what a coroner said was an “industrial disease” partly caused by heading heavy footballs during his career, said they were shocked at the scale of the problem.

“My overall feeling is that I am staggered even though my own research and instinct was always that there was a serious problem,” said his daughter Dawn Astle, who has been contacted by more than 400 families of former players with dementia.
There's been thousands of footballers tho. Also Astle played with a much heavier ball. Crazy decision.
The ball should be on the floor at that age anyway. Far too much hoof ball in kids football.
Ok then, scrap corners and free kicks at kids football eh?

If there is no heading will the skill of crossing the ball suffer ? Wingers basically will become in effective.
Under 12s are playing 7 and 9 a side so they're not set up with wingers. Don't get me wrong, I think banning it is unnecessary and it needs to be in the adult game. What I'm saying is that if the kids are coached properly then heading isn't that common at that age in a game.
There's been thousands of footballers tho. Also Astle played with a much heavier ball. Crazy decision.

Ok then, scrap corners and free kicks at kids football eh?
Did I say that? I was talking about open play. Far too many kids coaches teach them to lump it

Last edited:
Under 12s are playing 7 and 9 a side so they're not set up with wingers. Don't get me wrong, I think banning it is unnecessary and it needs to be in the adult game. What I'm saying is that if the kids are coached properly then heading isn't that common at that age in a game.

Did I say that? I was talking about open play. Far too many kids coaches teach them to lump it
Heading is part of the game man.

I don't know why I keep getting into conversations on here with people that can't read.
..fuck off then.
That's what I was thinking. I watch a decent amount of primary school football, and not much heading goes on at all really. But it might be different when playing for their clubs?
School football is completely different. Club football is a massive step up.
School football is completely different. Club football is a massive step up.

Last edited:
Common sense. Yes the balls are lighter but without a time machine no one can be sure of the damage. Look at all the old players suffering now. Makes sense to protect young brains that are still developing.

The yanks did this ages ago , am surprised it's taken us so long , it's the first step towards eradicating it from the game completely , people saying we should be teaching heading as s skill are talking bollox , ask Dave Watson's missus . Won't happen in my lifetime , bu eventually there won't be a need for the wykes , Lafferty's in the game anymore, it's inevitable.

Not quite ages ago, the start of 2016. Banned it for U-10s in both training and games, an intentional header in U-10 or younger is supposed to be an indirect free kick for the opposition.

Back