Uk's least popular British foods

Yep. Offcuts plus offal. One of those weird things that was once a cheap way of getting maximum value from the animal but is now often cooked in high end restaurants or by Masterchef contenstants. "It's hare done four ways, pan fried, oven roasted, sous vide and I've made a little faggot with the liver and other leftovers".
My grandad (also my avatar!) was a butcher, and my Mam used to help him when she was a kid by making black pudding, adding "You can use everything on a pig but the grunt." She was telling this tale, including the blood and fat stuff, while we were eating, and one of my lads went green and fainted:eek:. I love black pudding, and rabbit pie was a regular treat when I was a kid.

Last edited:
My grandad (also my avatar!) was a butcher, and my Mam used to help him when she was a kid by making black pudding, adding "You can use everything on a pig but the grunt." She was telling this tale as we were eating, and one of my lads went green and fainted:eek:. I love black pudding, and rabbit pie was a regular treat when I was a kid.

Same here with regard to rabbit & black pudding pie. Used to love i. Not had it for years.

Invented in England wasn’t it?

Or maybe Scotland:

The origin of the dish is not certain. Some trace the origins of the dish to the South Asian community in Britain. The Multicultural Handbook of Food, Nutrition and Dieteticscredits its creation to Bangladeshi migrantchefs in the 1960s, after migrating from what was then East Pakistan (now Bangladesh). At the time, most of Britain's Indian restaurants were owned and run by Bangladeshi chefs, who developed and served a number of new inauthentic "Indian" dishes, including chicken tikka masala.[5] Historians of ethnic food Peter and Colleen Grove discuss various origin-claims of chicken tikka masala, concluding that the dish "was most certainly invented in Britain, probably by a Bangladeshi chef".[6] They suggest that "the shape of things to come may have been a recipe for Shahi Chicken Masala in Mrs Balbir Singh’s Indian Cookery published in 1961".[6]

Another explanation is that it originated in an Indian restaurant in Glasgow, Scotland.[7][2]This version recounts how a Pakistani chef, Ali Ahmed Aslam, proprietor of the Shish Mahal restaurant in the west end of Glasgow, invented chicken tikka masala by improvising a sauce made from yogurt, cream, and spices.[8][9]

Given the fuss and bother about Brussel sprouts that always erupts at this time of year I opened the thread expecting to see people unnecessarily whinging about them.

It always puzzles me why people who don’t like the taste of something, constantly complain about it. Just don’t eat it.

Back