Uk's least popular British foods

You should know by now that certain things do not compute in the Herbal Brain. One of these is why people feel they have to give up things they enjoyed as kids just because they get older.

Im with you in theory and I agree with your viewpoint but some things like taste changes doesn’t it? Or does it? :confused:

:lol:

British foods? Chicken Tikka Massala? Haway man :lol:
Invented in England wasn’t it?

Or maybe Scotland:

The origin of the dish is not certain. Some trace the origins of the dish to the South Asian community in Britain. The Multicultural Handbook of Food, Nutrition and Dieteticscredits its creation to Bangladeshi migrantchefs in the 1960s, after migrating from what was then East Pakistan (now Bangladesh). At the time, most of Britain's Indian restaurants were owned and run by Bangladeshi chefs, who developed and served a number of new inauthentic "Indian" dishes, including chicken tikka masala.[5] Historians of ethnic food Peter and Colleen Grove discuss various origin-claims of chicken tikka masala, concluding that the dish "was most certainly invented in Britain, probably by a Bangladeshi chef".[6] They suggest that "the shape of things to come may have been a recipe for Shahi Chicken Masala in Mrs Balbir Singh’s Indian Cookery published in 1961".[6]

Another explanation is that it originated in an Indian restaurant in Glasgow, Scotland.[7][2]This version recounts how a Pakistani chef, Ali Ahmed Aslam, proprietor of the Shish Mahal restaurant in the west end of Glasgow, invented chicken tikka masala by improvising a sauce made from yogurt, cream, and spices.[8][9]

Last edited:
Scotch eggs and haggis are among UK’s least popular British foods
Agree? Liver and onion, haggis, black pudding and steak and kidney pudding all rated as crap in a recent survey. Not something I ever eat. Scotch eggs rated low level along with pork pies. :eek: Although I'm not a fan of either tbh.

Logon or register to see this image
The knackers have a picture of oatcakes instead of laverbread.

Never tried chitterlings, but love tripe.
Not raw tripe but cooked as the main ingredient in a Hungarian stew called Pacal (pronounced potsol)
Hungarian tripe stew (Pacal porkolt) - Creative Kitchen

Had celeriac mash, which was ok.
Celeriac is great in remoulade.

Last edited:
One of the best teas ever is haggis, mashed turnip, butter mash and a whisky cream sauce with peppercorns. Plate of f***ing slop. Tempted to make it for me lass tomorrow night.

Love all on the list bar jellied eels. Always stock up when in Scotland with Stornoway black pudding, lorne sausage, a couple of haggis tubes, some white puddings and some well fired morning rolls. I also need to buy bridie's for my Forfar pal and get some iron bru sweets for our lass.

Back