UK using Trump tactics

No Carty they will be a day of reckoning.
Won’t happen and they’ll win the next election. It’s Tories for the foreseeable. Nothing labour can do.

if this doesn’t open people’s eyes nothing will, so I’m glad I’m out of the rat race and sorted.

I’ll never concede to the Tories or patriots though so, if they don’t like it, ignore feature

If you catch covid , go into hospital after 2 weeks, then deteriorate in hospital and die after 3 weeks- this is now determined not a covid death ?

If you catch covid , go into hospital after 2 weeks, then deteriorate in hospital and die after 3 weeks- this is now determined not a covid death ?

That seems to be what this is implying which clearly doesn't make sense.

I understand the other side where people recover and then die of another cause - clearly non-Covid death, and should be counted that way and 28 days is more than reasonable for that. But surely Covid is still the primary reason for the deaths of some people more than 28 days after testing positive?

According to the statement on itv news this evening a government source stated, if some dies within 28 days of testing positive then its Covid related. After that underlying causes

thats how they’ve knocked 5000 deaths off the count today.

Great question. And based on the criteria now to be used it would not be deemed a Covid death.

Explains a lot regarding the numbers coming from official sources in Scotland and Wales, which for months haven't gelled with reports from within the actual communities. (Don't know which criteria were being used in NI.)

It looks as if the way England was reporting things was actually the more accurate (and honest?) way of doing it but they have now resorted to the more flattering method used by the smaller dominions within the UK. Perhaps to try and stave off some of the less flattering comments being made regarding the handling of things compared to other parts of the UK.

Another case of two wrongs not making a right?

That seems to be what this is implying which clearly doesn't make sense.

I understand the other side where people recover and then die of another cause - clearly non-Covid death, and should be counted that way and 28 days is more than reasonable for that. But surely Covid is still the primary reason for the deaths of some people more than 28 days after testing positive?

Looks to me that this is only being applied to the 'out of hospital' deaths. I still can't fathom how it can be logical that 100 people a day can be dying of Covid, but only 10 be in hospital. Surely the other 90 would be admitted? It's a brutal disease, but not instant like a heart attack or similar. I think it's probably elderly people (sadly) who die in care, and this fudge(?) is designed to stop them being classified as Covid death.

Nope, if you have covid and you get critical obviously the death certificate states Covid 🤷‍♂️
Looks to me that this is only being applied to the 'out of hospital' deaths. I still can't fathom how it can be logical that 100 people a day can be dying of Covid, but only 10 be in hospital. Surely the other 90 would be admitted? It's a brutal disease, but not instant like a heart attack or similar. I think it's probably elderly people (sadly) who die in care, and this fudge(?) is designed to stop them being classified as Covid death.

It's people in care homes man, they got tested a few weeks back and then had a natural death weeks later but still getting classified as covid.

Last edited:
Nope, if you have covid and you get critical obviously the death certificate states Covid 🤷‍♂️

Nope, you have read the wrong information, from BBC website

"Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland's 28-day limit between a positive test and death looked reasonable. But even so, that measure does not include those who might have been on a ventilator for more than 28 days"

If you test positive for covid and due on day 29 on a ventilator this is now deemed non covid
, doesn't make sense to me either ..

@Frijj

Care to earn your corn here?

In brief

Recording all deaths of COVID positive people as COVID deaths makes sense because during the peak and immediate aftermath the odds were most who were dying were dying due to or in part because of COVID.

As time goes by that becomes less appropriate because time going by means other causes have more chance to occur

28 days is very arbitrary but due to this ^^^ it is necessary to have a cut off.

I like the idea of three counts

1. All deaths of anyone who has ever been COVID pos - useful because a prior COVID infection may itself become a co-morbidity

2. The above but cut to 28 days...or ideally the 75th percentile of days taken between positive test and death for all COVID patients who have died of respiratory causes eg if 75% of people who die OF COVID die within 21 days it should be 21 days.

3. Number of death certificates that have COVID in any cause field. This is my preferred method. It relies on a doctors judgement that COVID influenced the death.

I think it will be just non hospitalised cases, if you are on a ventilator due to the corony you will be going on the figures, that's for sure. What else are they going to put on the death certificate 🤷‍♂️ They've been caught out exaggerating the figures, it's as simple as that, they are not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts to reduce the cases, they need the high cases.

It's as if you've just not bothered reading what people have been saying all along, the discrepancy in the ONS figures is due to the lockdown of which the fall out is only going to get worse . Anyone 🤷‍♂️

Yeah. Less gang violence. Less rta’s. Less crime for a 9 week + period.
So yeah. It could actually be more who died because of covid. Clown anyone

No. 28 days after a test, die on day 29, not registered as a Covid death. It’s great news. Hopefully we can get down to 14 days and barely 5000 will have died.

but corbyn
You realise you’re the only person that says this...on every thread.

I assume that you would have repeated tests while you are in hospital so the test date would progress with the disease.

It's people in care homes man, they got tested a few weeks back and then had a natural death weeks later but still getting classified as covid.

I know from my Dads experience that anyone having a positive test in a care home has repeated tests until they test negative or die either from covid or other causes. My dad had an indefinite test, which was repeated and found to be negative. There is no mention of covid on his death certificate. The doctor has just put fragility of old age as the main cause and listed his various other disease processes as secondary causes.

Last edited:
“So 928 people died of flu or Pneumonia in the last week of July, compared with 193 of Covid. Let’s accept Covid is here to stay and get back to school, back to work and back to normal”.
- Wendy, South Gloucestershire.

“So 928 people died of flu or Pneumonia in the last week of July, compared with 193 of Covid. Let’s accept Covid is here to stay and get back to school, back to work and back to normal”.
- Wendy, South Gloucestershire.

Are you supporting her views or highlighting her potential mistake there?

Most COVID death certificates (and I’ve seen hundreds of them) look something like this

1A - Viral pneumonitis
1B - COVID19
1C - (any other factor)

2 - Any underlying causes which may have contributed

Because COVID causes viral pneumonitis, I have a sneaky suspicion that she’s wrong.

The ONS give ICD-10 codes (codes for every individual medical condition that exists) to every death based on what is in on the death cert

Viral pneumonitis belongs in a group called influenza and pneumonia

The ONS report the number of deaths of all causes in the influenza and pneumonia group as...influenza and pneumonia deaths

Wendy is most likely wrong and has been caught our reading statistics she doesn’t understand

Are you supporting her views or highlighting her potential mistake there?

Most COVID death certificates (and I’ve seen hundreds of them) look something like this

1A - Viral pneumonitis
1B - COVID19
1C - (any other factor)

2 - Any underlying causes which may have contributed

Because COVID causes viral pneumonitis, I have a sneaky suspicion that she’s wrong.

The ONS give ICD-10 codes (codes for every individual medical condition that exists) to every death based on what is in on the death cert

Viral pneumonitis belongs in a group called influenza and pneumonia

The ONS report the number of deaths of all causes in the influenza and pneumonia group as...influenza and pneumonia deaths

Wendy is most likely wrong and has been caught our reading statistics she doesn’t understand
The latter.
This was posted in an opinion section of a newspaper :)oops:), just shows the lack of clarity people have on the disease and that the knock on effects.
Similar issue with the 28 day cut off - there’s nothing stopping Covid single handedly causing a complication which persists and ultimately kills on day 29 or day 30.

The latter.
This was posted in an opinion section of a newspaper :)oops:), just shows the lack of clarity people have on the disease and that the knock on effects.
Similar issue with the 28 day cut off - there’s nothing stopping Covid single handedly causing a complication which persists and ultimately kills on day 29 or day 30.
Isnt that the exact reason why they have 3 sets of data to capture the short medium and long term implications?

I’m not but you are wrong
You are like.
Isnt that the exact reason why they have 3 sets of data to capture the short medium and long term implications?
It’s not surprising that medical professionals are happy with the extra data, makes sense. It’ll be interesting to see which is used by the government as the headline figure as there needs to be a single number for the general public. I’d imagine they’ll go with the lower.

Last edited:

Back