1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK unemployment rate lowest for 42 years

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Pancho, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Pancho

Pancho Striker Staff Member Contributor

According to that cabal of commie pinkos/despicable fascists at the BBC

2. Narraback

Narraback Winger

Zero hour contracts, low pay, part time jobs etc. etc.

3. Hoon

Hoon Midfield

Economy must be absolutely flying with that extra spending from workers and those massively increased tax returns. :cool:

miltonunez9 likes this.
  4. AlpineExile

AlpineExile Striker

Inflation won't be far behind now.

5. Astra

Astra Midfield

No wonder they can afford to remove the wage cap for the public sector. They must coining it.

6. SA96

SA96 Central Defender

What's the point of employment if the cost of living is out of control?

The housing market is broken for the young people of this country.

7. Frijj

Frijj Striker Contributor

They're all fair points though.

Is low unemployment a good thing? Yes, absolutely, but we should not use it to cover up issues such as the dramatic rise in ZHCs (which work very well for some people, of course) or the way wages have fallen behind inflation.

Nor should we forget what "unemployment" is for the ONS. It is...

The number of people searching for work and able to work in the last four weeks / (the number of people in employment + the number of people searching for work and able to work in the last four weeks) and as such does not take into account people who have no job due to health reasons, or who are economically inactive for other reasons.

It's gotten low enough that this probably can be considered a statistically significant low as well.

8. The Exile

The Exile Striker

Then you build more houses.

What you don't do is ask the builders for a favour on price while you're hammering them with Corporation Tax.

9. carldp1989

carldp1989 Central Defender

Though new builders are building a few affordable homes that are dealt with by the council. It's around 10% of houses built on a new build estate have to be these affordable homes. So they are coming back slowly

But you're right you have to give them something to make it worthwhile

The Exile likes this.
  10. The Exile

The Exile Striker

I've lived on one of those estates. The snobbery is unbelievable between those who bought and council houses.

11. carldp1989

carldp1989 Central Defender

Currently living on one now our house is right next door to the affordable housing.

You really wouldn't know they didn't buy outright if it wasn't on the plans.

Bagpuss likes this.
  12. Pancho

Genuine question.

Are you implying that the ONS's definition of unemployment has changed?

For the life of me I don't understand why successive governments haven't properly addressed the new housing problem.

More builders, plumbers, sparkies gainfully employed, bigger tax and NI take, heat taken out of house price and rental market, not to mention happier more productive working families because they're in their own gaffs.

No need to plunder greenfield sites as I suspect there are plenty of suitable brownfield sites available.

That's just off the top of my head. To me everything about that screams vote winner ( for bairns at least) or am I missing something?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  13. Frijj

Frijj Striker Contributor

No, that is the ONS definition of employment.

People searching for work and able to work are classed as unemployed.

The rate is those above / (those in work + those classed as unemployed)

14. Pancho

Right. Thanks.

15. Fats

Fats Midfield

Not trying to be funny, but the days of wholesale house building have long gone. The workforce has changed accordingly. Even if we were to see a change of mind by the powers that be, we wouldn't have the workforce to carry out the job.

16. Jardin

Jardin Winger

Give it a few more percent and we'll be at 100% employment and then have vacancies. We'll be begging for unskilled immigrants to come.

17. Pancho

I was aware that the UK had lost a lot of engineering skills over the years but I hadn't realised that it had affected the building industry to that extent.

Just have to ship a few grafters in from the EU...

Oh, bugger.

Snap.

Jardin likes this.
  18. Fats

Fats Midfield

The ONS also say that there was a 0.5% drop in real earnings for the three months up to June, caused mainly by stagnant wage increases & rising inflation.

Just as well those really cheap groceries from abroad will soon be a thing of the past.

19. I'm not sure about this unemployment figure, because I know of two bright people who are looking for work but they can't get interviews let alone jobs, and they say often that there are 50 applicants plus for a lot of jobs they are trying for. I'm not sure how the Government works out its unemployment figures but it is far harder to get a job now than back in the mid seventies when you could walk out of a job on a Friday and have a choice on which one you started on Monday.

Unemployment figs similar.
    [​IMG]

20. Jardin

Jardin Winger

Wait till all the EU migrants leave then it will be like the 70's all over again. Unfortunately the Sex Pistols won't seem so original this time around.