UK passport Issued Pre Brexit

aupaalaves

Striker
I live in northern Spain I'm hoping to come over for the playoff final and my British passport, which runs out in November this year, was issued pre Brexit and says on the cover:

European Union
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Might be a silly question but can I still use this passport to travel post-Brexit? I know that it has to have minimum 3 months before expiry date in order to travel which isn't a problem.

I live in northern Spain I'm hoping to come over for the playoff final and my British passport, which runs out in November this year, was issued pre Brexit and says on the cover:

European Union

Might be a silly question but can I still use this passport to travel post-Brexit? I know that it has to have minimum 3 months before expiry date in order to travel which isn't a problem.
Soz fella but You wont be able to

I will however buy Your tickets off You so You don`t lose out:lol:;)

I'm a legal resident in Spain with an ID card but it doesn't seem to say anything about that. It's just if you are visiting Spain. Seems to be a grey area.

Not a grey area at all. Regardless of your residency, you are a British citizen, your passport is in date and is valid. No problem.
There's this new rule for UK passports issued more than ten years ago and that have less than 3 months before expiry in order to travel in EU Shenghen countries

Mine was issued March 2012 and expires November 2022 so it's older than 10 years but has more than 3 months before expiry 🤷

There's this new rule for UK passports issued more than ten years ago and that have less than 3 months before expiry in order to travel in EU Shenghen countries

Mine was issued March 2012 and expires November 2022 so it's older than 10 years but has more than 3 months before expiry 🤷

Get booked up for a same day passport renewal appointment ASAP. Both conditions need to be met - technically your current passport is void.

European Union

have a pre brexit passport and dont envisage any issues.

The issue you may have, is the expiry dates. Is the issuing date the same or different from the valid from date.

A couple of articles (whether fully true or not) have said that an airline were refusing to allow a passenger on the plane, because they were reading 6 months to issuing date.

I'm a legal resident in Spain with an ID card but it doesn't seem to say anything about that. It's just if you are visiting Spain. Seems to be a grey area.
Why can’t you just use your DNI to travel? My mrs uses hers, you don’t need a passport?

If you are planning to travel to an EU country (except Ireland), or Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino or Vatican City, you must meet the Schengen area rules.

Your passport must meet 2 requirements. It must be:

• less than 10 years old on the day you enter (check the ‘date of issue’)
  • valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’)

You’ll need a new passport to get back in.
Why can’t you just use your DNI to travel? My mrs uses hers, you don’t need a passport?

Last edited:
If you are planning to travel to an EU country (except Ireland), or Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino or Vatican City, you must meet the Schengen area rules.

Your passport must meet 2 requirements. It must be:

• less than 10 years old on the day you enter (check the ‘date of issue’)
  • valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’)

You’ll need a new passport to get back in.

You cannot use an EU, EEA or Swiss national ID card to enter the UK unless you:

• have settled or pre-settled status under the EUSettlement Scheme, or Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man’s settlement schemes
She falls under that category, I didn’t realise it had changed. Best tell her to get a passport sorted then before it gets too late 😆

You can use it as long as it has more than 3 months left until the expiry date. They were talking about this on the radio yesterday and the needing a new passport information is bullshit. It started because an airline got their information wrong and started barring passengers from flights.

This is where some airlines wont let you on plane in UK. Like I say one option would be come back via ROI I think
He doesn't need to change his passport. He can fly from the UK.
Probably just some bitter remoaners trying to stir the pot after the airline fucked up.

European Union

Not sure if this helps but I have been to Spain and back with a European passport pre Brexit passport. I would have thought that if if were in date it should be ok. Appreciate its slightly different scenario.

Surely someone has asked what you have asked on a website FAQs or something?

Back