UK passport Issued Pre Brexit

So from what I understand, leaving Spain to UK on may 20th wouldn't be a problem as I have more than 3 months before expiry date.

However, coming to Spain from UK is the problem because my passport was issued 10 years and 3 months ago?
i think i'd trust this bloke. unless its changed in the last few months
Just checked USA regulations. Most web sites say 6 months left on passport from time of departure from the USA.
Government website says you just need a valid passport, you can stay until the day your passport expires.
Loads of ignorant people guessing or quoting facebook stories putting missinformation out there, gov.com is correct.
TBF the OP was on about Spain not the USA. the gov website says 10 years from date of issue for spain and the rest of the EU. thats all i'm going on.

Last edited:

Just checked USA regulations. Most web sites say 6 months left on passport from time of departure from the USA.
Government website says you just need a valid passport, you can stay until the day your passport expires.
Loads of ignorant people guessing or quoting facebook stories putting missinformation out there, gov.com is correct.
The government website is correct, it’s you that is wrong.
The expiry date is only in relation to the amount of time left on the passport but the passport cannot be more than 10 years old regardless of the expiry date.
Thanks Brexit

I was well aware of the 3 month thing long before FB even appeared.I don't recall exactly which non EU countries it applied to but I'd say it was more than 50%.Seems its probably now hitting folks who had never previously been out of the EU more and were unaware.But hey Brexit means Brexit.Dont forget there'll be millions who won't now be visiting the UK because they now need a passport and not an ID card.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Managed to get through to the British consulate in Madrid.

My passport is fine for going back to the UK as I'm a British passport holder and it expires in November 2022.

However, what he couldn't confirm was whether the issue date of March 2012 would allow me to fly from UK back to Spain and advised me to contact Spanish embassy in Madrid.

Looks like they're closed now so will have to do it in the morning.

I live in northern Spain I'm hoping to come over for the playoff final and my British passport, which runs out in November this year, was issued pre Brexit and says on the cover:

European Union
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Might be a silly question but can I still use this passport to travel post-Brexit? I know that it has to have minimum 3 months before expiry date in order to travel which isn't a problem.
No sweat

i think i'd trust this bloke. unless its changed in the last few months

TBF the OP was on about Spain not the USA. the gov website says 10 years from date of issue for spain and the rest of the EU. thats all i'm going on.
This is exactly what I've been saying all along. The OP's passport IS valid for travel both ways. It's others who have been saying shite like "use your ID card" "go to Ireland and travel from there" "your passport isn't valid" etc. There's nowt wrong with his passport, it's the airlines that are wrong. Simon Calder was on radio yesterday pointing out airlines stopping people flying were wrong. As I said the gov.com web site has the correct information, people including the government have been misinterpreting these rules.
The USA reference was because someone said the 3 months applied to every country in the world, I disagreed and pointed out the rules for America, which used to be 6 months but changed post Brexit to the day it expires.

This is exactly what I've been saying all along. The OP's passport IS valid for travel both ways. It's others who have been saying shite like "use your ID card" "go to Ireland and travel from there" "your passport isn't valid" etc. There's nowt wrong with his passport, it's the airlines that are wrong. Simon Calder was on radio yesterday pointing out airlines stopping people flying were wrong. As I said the gov.com web site has the correct information, people including the government have been misinterpreting these rules.
The USA reference was because someone said the 3 months applied to every country in the world, I disagreed and pointed out the rules for America, which used to be 6 months but changed post Brexit to the day it expires.
My passport was issued March 5th 2012. That would mean it's 10 years and 3 months old. If I have to travel back to Spain from UK on 22nd of May, I don't think my passport is valid.

Going from Spain to UK Isn't a problem as the passport expires on November 7th 2022 so more than 3 months before expiry date.

It's the returning to Spain bit which is the issue

Last edited:
3-6 months validity required in Turkey,India,Thailand,Egypt,Dom Rep,S Africa,Brazil,Morocco,but not in Mexico and tunisia,Jamaica,2 months Cuba.

What about this on the gov website?

If you are planning to travel to an EU country (except Ireland), or Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino or Vatican City, you must meet the Schengen area rules.

Your passport must meet 2 requirements. It must be:

• less than 10 years old on the day you enter (check the ‘date of issue’)
  • valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’)

I live in northern Spain I'm hoping to come over for the playoff final and my British passport, which runs out in November this year, was issued pre Brexit and says on the cover:

European Union
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Might be a silly question but can I still use this passport to travel post-Brexit? I know that it has to have minimum 3 months before expiry date in order to travel which isn't a problem.
If you're inside the last six months on 21st May, I'd suggest renewing.

Schengen rules are three months, however, having six months or more is always recommended.

Last edited:
What about this on the gov website?

If you are planning to travel to an EU country (except Ireland), or Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino or Vatican City, you must meet the Schengen area rules.

Your passport must meet 2 requirements. It must be:

• less than 10 years old on the day you enter (check the ‘date of issue’)
  • valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’)

The more I'm reading and finding out about this, I'm starting to think that the issued within 10 years date is for UK citizens who are travelling for tourism purposes.

I think for UK nationals that have a residence permit, are exempt from this under the withdrawal agreement act as long as they can show proof of residence via a TIE card for example which I have.

On the airline Vueling website, who I'd fly with, they provide a website to check to see if your documentation is valid for your trips.

I've filled in going to UK from Spain and returning to Spain from UK. Gave dates of issue and expiry of UK passport accompanied by selecting the option of having a Spanish residence permit and it says documentation for both journeys is sufficient 🤔

Last edited:
The more I'm reading and finding out about this, I'm starting to think that the issued within 10 years date is for UK citizens who are travelling for tourism purposes.

I think for UK nationals that have a residence permit, are exempt from this under the withdrawal agreement act as long as they can show proof of residence via a TIE card for example which I have.

On the airline Vueling website, who I'd fly with, they provide a website to check to see if your documentation is valid for your trips.

I've filled in going to UK from Spain and returning to Spain from UK. Gave dates of issue and expiry of UK passport accompanied by selecting the option of having a Spanish residence permit and it says documentation for both journeys is sufficient 🤔
this has just been published, but it just seems to confirm what was already on the gov.uk site. maybe you are right because it says "uk travellers" which you arent. its a f***ing minefield. thanks brexit.
Foreign Office changes advice on passport rules for EU travel

I'm doing a driving holiday from Santander - Oporto - Bilbao in a few months, anywhere you recommend?
Forgot to get back to you on this.

If you go through Galicia, these places are nice: Vigo, Pontevedra, A Coruña, Santiago de Compostela, Sansenxo

If you go through Asturias: Gijón, Oviedo, Lagos de Covadonga, Llanes, Ribadesella, Ruta del Cares if you're into hiking.

If you go through Cantabria: Santander, Castro, Laredo, Noja, Faro cabo mayor, Suances, San Vicente de la Barquera

If you go through Bizkaia: Bilbao, Getxo, Barrika, Plentzia, Castillo de Butrón, Lezama (Athletic Bilbao training ground), Lekeitio, Bakio, Bermeo, San Juan de Gaztelugatxe, Bosque de Oma, Artxanda

If you go through Guipúzcoa: San Sebastián, Zarautz, Getaria, Zumaia, Deba

Last edited:
My passport was issued March 5th 2012. That would mean it's 10 years and 3 months old. If I have to travel back to Spain from UK on 22nd of May, I don't think my passport is valid.

Going from Spain to UK Isn't a problem as the passport expires on November 7th 2022 so more than 3 months before expiry date.

It's the returning to Spain bit which is the issue
This is correct. In the EU your passport is only valid for 10 years so it is now not considered to be a valid passport. This is only in the EU. Everywhere else in the world, including UK, your passport is valid until the expiry date.

This is correct. In the EU your passport is only valid for 10 years so it is now not considered to be a valid passport. This is only in the EU. Everywhere else in the world, including UK, your passport is valid until the expiry date.
As a UK national with a legal residence permit in an EU country, the issued within 10 years rule doesn't apply to me. Got this clarified with the British consulate in Madrid. Just need to make sure I show proof of residence permit by showing the TIE card along with the passport when returning.

It's part of the rights under the withdrawal agreement act

Last edited:
Forgot to get back to you on this.

If you go through Galicia, these places are nice: Vigo, Pontevedra, A Coruña, Santiago de Compostela, Sansenxo

If you go through Asturias: Gijón, Oviedo, Lagos de Covadonga, Llanes, Ribadesella, Ruta del Cares if you're into hiking.

If you go through Cantabria: Santander, Castro, Laredo, Noja, Faro cabo mayor, Suances, San Vicente de la Barquera

If you go through Bizkaia: Bilbao, Getxo, Barrika, Plentzia, Castillo de Butrón, Lezama (Athletic Bilbao training ground), Lekeitio, Bakio, Bermeo, San Juan de Gaztelugatxe, Bosque de Oma, Artxanda

If you go through Guipúzcoa: San Sebastián, Zarautz, Getaria, Zumaia, Deba

Much appreciated Senor A.

Back