UK passport Issued Pre Brexit

Why can’t you just use your DNI to travel? My mrs uses hers, you don’t need a passport?
Can't use DNI to travel outside the EU. Must be a passport. Besides, mine is a TIE card which needs to taken along with valid UK passport.

What I can't figure out is whether under the withdrawal agreement, any UK citizen living in Spain with legal residency since before 2021 would/might be exempt from these passport rules

Can't use DNI to travel outside the EU. Must be a passport. Besides, mine is a TIE card which needs to taken along with valid UK passport.

What I can't figure out is whether under the withdrawal agreement, any UK citizen living in Spain with legal residency since before 2021 would/might be exempt from these passport rules
Not sure about the dates issue but remember to take your residence permit with you and show at the airport both sides otherwise you'll get your passport stamped and be tracked under 90/180 rule

Not sure about the dates issue but remember to take your residence permit with you and show at the airport both sides otherwise you'll get your passport stamped and be tracked under 90/180 rule
Yeah, I know that.

That's the thing I'm trying to find out, whether I'm exempt from the more than 10 year issue date because I'm a legal permanent resident and I have the TIE card.

I live in northern Spain I'm hoping to come over for the playoff final and my British passport, which runs out in November this year, was issued pre Brexit and says on the cover:

European Union
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Might be a silly question but can I still use this passport to travel post-Brexit? I know that it has to have minimum 3 months before expiry date in order to travel which isn't a problem.

I'm doing a driving holiday from Santander - Oporto - Bilbao in a few months, anywhere you recommend?

wrong. if you renewed it early before it expired and it was issued more than 10 years ago, they'll refuse it even if there's more than 3 months remaining on it. i dont know if thats both ways.
You really shouldn't comment on serious issues without knowing exactly what you are talking about.

Who will refuse it?
You really shouldn't comment on serious issues without knowing exactly what you are talking about.
I quoted the wrong poster. Sorry
wrong. if you renewed it early before it expired and it was issued more than 10 years ago, they'll refuse it even if there's more than 3 months remaining on it. i dont know if thats both ways.
This is correct @Tuono doesn't have a clue so should remain quiet.

Ryanair didn't understand the rules and were refusing passengers with perfectly legal passports. That's where the stories came from.

Ryanair didn't understand the rules and were refusing passengers with perfectly legal passports. That's where the stories came from.
this must be wrong as well then, it does say they are checking it and its only schengen area? Your passport must meet 2 requirements. It must be:
  • less than 10 years old on the day you enter (check the ‘date of issue’)
  • valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’)
Entry requirements - Spain travel advice

Last edited:
I renewed my passport early so I could get one of the final maroon EU passports rather than one of the non-European blue/black ones

So from what I understand, leaving Spain to UK on may 20th wouldn't be a problem as I have more than 3 months before expiry date.

However, coming to Spain from UK is the problem because my passport was issued 10 years and 3 months ago?

this must be wrong as well then, it does say they are checking it and its only schengen area? Your passport must meet 2 requirements. It must be:
  • less than 10 years old on the day you enter (check the ‘date of issue’)
  • valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’)
Entry requirements - Spain travel advice
It has always been the same for people outside the EU/Schengen area. I'm not absolutely sure but travelling to almost every other country in the world you don't require this 3 month cut off period.

I'm not absolutely sure but travelling to almost every other country in the world you don't require this 3 month cut off period.
Iam pretty sure you do for the vast majority of places and you seem to forget UK-EU + EU-UK now flies under the this rest of the world banner.With brexit the sky's the limit,or maybe not.😜

Iam pretty sure you do for the vast majority of places and you seem to forget UK-EU + EU-UK now flies under the this rest of the world banner.With brexit the sky's the limit,or maybe not.😜
Just checked USA regulations. Most web sites say 6 months left on passport from time of departure from the USA.
Government website says you just need a valid passport, you can stay until the day your passport expires.
Loads of ignorant people guessing or quoting facebook stories putting missinformation out there, gov.com is correct.

Back