Uk forecast for water shortages

Don’t stop them pouring millions of gallons into fracking. Can’t be that short.
That is another can of worms yet to be opened my friend. On one hand i want cheaper shale gas etc but not if there is going to be long term damage,but the yanks seem okay to accelerate its use and its a canny leverage against opec countries

been watching a item on the news this morning with some blerk on,waffling on about the uk running out of water in the future. Explain to me, like i am a 6 year old why we cannot siphon water off our rivers when they are reaching the sea so all the envoirement backover is unaffected. I mean its only flowing into the sea, we must have thousands of rivers.
theres basically fuck all in the rivers this year to divert. My usual fishing haunts are a good 2-3 feet down on their usual levels, even if it is only judged by me simply adjusting my set up from last year rather than scientifc measurement. Seriously never understood though why we have never made bigger investments in desalination though seeing as wer are surrounded by the stuff

I seem to remember they did something 25+ Years ago when there were shortages in Yorkshire.. Kielder -> Tyne -> Tees through the interconnecting pipes then a round the clock tanker operation on the A19 and A1 to serve Yorkshire.
Yes, i remember that but i am sure there is a permenent link now

The water which supplies most of Sunderland is taken from an extraction point at Lumley as Northumbrian Water choose to use the Wear as a natural conduit rather than install pipes. The rest is extracted via from an underground aquifer. Both sources are treated before entering the potable water supply.

We are fortunate though as all rivers in the NE have a fantastic catchment area in the Peninnes.

The water shortages generally take place in the south as the area is far bigger, and rainfall isn't as prevalent as up here.

The problem with your concern is that the local water authorities set quotas for allowable levels of extraction for all rivers as too much can cause secondary issues elsewhere. For example, the aquifer we extract from is water running over an impervious layer of strata at quite a deep level. The water enters the system inland and flows toward the sea. Increased extraction inland can* decrease the volumes in the aquifer downstream. The water authorities do know what they are doing.

*Obviously, the above is one possibility and other rivers/ systems may have different characteristics.
Sunderland gets some of its water from two other sources; Derwent Reservoir and Burnhope Reservoir.

Keilder regulates the River Wear and can also support the Derwent scheme.

So, Sunderland has one of the most secure water supplies in the UK.

Sunderland gets some of its water from two other sources; Derwent Reservoir and Burnhope Reservoir.

Great, don’t think the soap dodgers from suddick and pennywell care tho

I knew about Burnhope, but I’m sure the reservoir acts to regulate the volume in the Wear and it’s not extracted until Lumley?

I didn’t know Derwent Reservoir supplied us too.

On the river theme etc, passed over the metal bridge at coxhoe en route to consett on pedal cycle and the river was stinking there. Looks a bit ramshackle there as well. Did i mention i want to have houseboats there???

I knew about Burnhope, but I’m sure the reservoir acts to regulate the volume in the Wear and it’s not extracted until Lumley?

I didn’t know Derwent Reservoir supplied us too.
No.
There is a pipeline all the way from Burnhope Reservoir to Rainton Bridge. Burnhope doesnt regulate the Wear.

The pipeline from Derwent reservoir flows into Washington.

Keilder water regulates the Tyne. Water is pumped out at Riding Mill into a pipeline that runs south to regulate the Tees. Water can be taken out to regulate the Wear which also supplies Sunderland via the Lumley scheme which comes into Sunderland at Stoneygate.

Water from the Keilder pipeline can be taken into Derwent if needed.

No.
There is a pipeline all the way from Burnhope Reservoir to Rainton Bridge. Burnhope doesnt regulate the Wear.

Keilder water regulates the Tyne. Water is pumped out at Riding Mill into a pipeline that runs south to regulate the Tees. Water can be taken out to regulate the Wear which also supplies Sunderland via the Lumley scheme which comes into Sunderland at Stoneygate.

Thanks for that.

No.

What about the small reservoirs underground, ie downhill lane? How much do they hold, just for when demand is high?

Can they not take sea water. Rising sea levels and that. Seriously?
Twenty first century and cannot anything with the sea water.
They should look on here for the answer.

I wish that were true, but as soon as the South runs dry, they’ll be shipping our water down.
Fuck that.

No.

Didn't realise these were so interconnected and managed. Top info.

Back