Uk forecast for water shortages

Have you seen the state of our rivers?

Our rivers are the cleanest they've ever been. Excluding the TEES near Boro' from that mind

been watching a item on the news this morning with some blerk on,waffling on about the uk running out of water in the future. Explain to me, like i am a 6 year old why we cannot siphon water off our rivers when they are reaching the sea so all the envoirement backover is unaffected. I mean its only flowing into the sea, we must have thousands of rivers.

These fuckas have their own agenda.

Whether it's to increase water prices or the faux global warming. It's cyclical. Never convince me of owt else.

Loads of water is stored with no way of being in the system, shelves full of it in supermarkets for example, the more the population rises the more that will increase, for every bottle emptied another is getting filled, that's everything from water to beer to soft drinks etc etc.

Will that have any affect on anything or does it not matter, I'm not a scientist but did a little bit of research and couldn't really find an answer.
I'm no scientist either but my understanding is that human drinking water is a tiny fraction of all the water used. Baths, toilets, watering parks and gardens and animal agriculture are some of the big users.

I read only two weeks ago that there’s a new pipeline installation which is due to start which will supply water from the Tees into Yorkshire. With time, it will all be linked I imagine.
Hope we charge premium rates for it, southern softies

I'm no scientist either but my understanding is that human drinking water is a tiny fraction of all the water used. Baths, toilets, watering parks and gardens and animal agriculture are some of the big users.
Surely that water should be from recycled water if you get what i mean ?

:lol::lol::D:lol:
Aye, I dare say it will be possible - a national grid for water. - But do we in England really need such a scheme? It is quite rare that we have a really hot & dry summer, and even the hosepipe ban over in Cumbria got lifted earlier on in the month.
But it will take a lot of money to fund all of the new pipelines, pumping stations, drainage etc.
And who will pay for such projects? The local water companies customers will no doubt pay the bigger share - and the good old UK tax payer will have to make up the rest - even though the water companies are privately run.
Absolutly spot on marra, no shortage of water with hops in. Swifty in wheatsheaf at mo then stadium tour then freebie in monty suite. Happy days:lol:

Not a homo like, looking at charlie methven in reception. Good looking dude like me;)

Last edited:
Keilder was built with the steel industry in mind as they use vast amounts of water. The steel industry has died a death which means the North East will never be short of water baring a drought for several months.
I was at Kielder about three weeks ago, in the middle of the heatwave. It looked to be about 3m below capacity. f***ing tons of watta!

Think I'll go and get the hosepipe on the go.

I have a patio.

We pump thousands of gallons every summer anyhow to ease water shortage without heatwaves.

More so this year so some rivers were dangerously low. Might be better if the water companies fixed all the broken pipes to reduce wasting precious water through leakage.

Be surprised if they did not lose more than the custoners actually use. They need their arses kicking and less bonuses to shareholder investors and more spent uprating system instead of ripping off cuustomers.
That would cut into profits though so they have zero incentive to fix them.

Except for the fact that 9 out of the 10 hottest years on record have happened since 2002.
Surely "drought" depends more on rainfall than hot.

I don't recall warnings of drought bringing about the end of the world last summer, or the one before or the one before.

That would cut into profits though so they have zero incentive to fix them.

So they should give them an incentive fine the company for every litre lost.

They are losing a precious commodity that belongs to the public nationally and not these private companies. Surely they also have a duty of care if they have a monopoly to stop this waste.

If they cannot manage it then they should be taken to task. There are too many in this country paid for failure earning obscene amounts while Joe Public funds their lavish lifestyles while being on the bones of their arses.

It is a bloody disgrace and this should be sorted by cross party support from these chinless MP's and Lords the majority of whom are probably shareholders any how.

Shareholder bit is speculation however loads have directorships declared as second jobs.

we have one long summer and somebody wants to create a crisis. if it happens again and again worth looking at again, but until then, don't panic ...
Yeah, but the frenzy whipped up by the media is insane. Its hijacked as usual By lentil munching, sandal wearing goons wailing the end is nigh. On a lighter note. Dick malone eating his soup is not a pretty sight. Stan cummins, gordon armstrong and stan cummins on same table. Oooohhhh look at me.

Yeah, but the frenzy whipped up by the media is insane. Its hijacked as usual By lentil munching, sandal wearing goons wailing the end is nigh. On a lighter note. Dick malone eating his soup is not a pretty sight. Stan cummins, gordon armstrong and lee howey on same table. Ooohh, look at me

So they should give them an incentive fine the company for every litre lost.

They are losing a precious commodity that belongs to the public nationally and not these private companies. Surely they also have a duty of care if they have a monopoly to stop this waste.

If they cannot manage it then they should be taken to task. There are too many in this country paid for failure earning obscene amounts while Joe Public funds their lavish lifestyles while being on the bones of their arses.

It is a bloody disgrace and this should be sorted by cross party support from these chinless MP's and Lords the majority of whom are probably shareholders any how.

Shareholder bit is speculation however loads have directorships declared as second jobs.
While I 100% agree it will never happen, to many people with vested interests.

While I 100% agree it will never happen, to many people with vested interests.

Sustainable economic level of leakage
We require the water companies to fix leaks, as long as the cost of doing so is less than the cost of not fixing the leak. The cost of not fixing a leak includes environmental damage and the cost of developing new water resources to compensate for the water lost through leaks.

This approach is called the sustainable economic level of leakage and gives consumers the best value for money.

Leakage - Ofwat

That said, water companies have been under pressure (intentional) this year and last to not meeting leakage targets.

Surely "drought" depends more on rainfall than hot.

I don't recall warnings of drought bringing about the end of the world last summer, or the one before or the one before.

No your post specifically suggested some kind of conspiracy every time we have a one hot summer every five. Therefore you were spouting bollocks.

No your post specifically suggested some kind of conspiracy every time we have a one hot summer every five. Therefore you were spouting bollocks.
Not a conspiracy, merely on the rare occasion we have a hot summer we get these pseudo academics popping on the news predicting years of drought only for them to disappear for another few wet years.

I wouldn’t say that is exactly correct. Prediction models are generated from historical data and it stands that as we experience more frequent hot summers with reduced rainfall, then the likelihood of future droughts increase. The professionals who appear on TV do know what they are talking about, but are only invited onto TV when they are asked to i.e. when it’s been a dry summer, not surprisingly, they aren’t invited on when it’s been wet.

And as discussed earlier in this thread, weather prediction models are essential to plan building infrastructure to combat the problem as his takes time, money and approvals. We can’t wait until there’s not enough water before we build something.

Last edited:
Keilder was built with the steel industry in mind as they use vast amounts of water. The steel industry has died a death which means the North East will never be short of water baring a drought for several months.
They won't hesitate to start exporting it down there though by enforced governmental law when their's runs out.

Back