UK Covid levels rise 30% in a week to estimated 2.3m cases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love to be your boss like:lol:
("That tw*ats off again with a runny nose....")
Again, how does the company determine the severity? Feel a bit shitty, usual cold symptoms. Off, nowts the matter. Pretty standard to be honest.

Better than that twats come in again with cold and now every fucker is coughing and barking again.

Again, how does the company determine the severity? Feel a bit shitty, usual cold symptoms. Off, nowts the matter. Pretty standard to be honest.

Better than that twats come in again with cold and now every fucker is coughing and barking again.
Like how you edit your posts after ive replied like:rolleyes:
Companies can manage how many times you ring in sick quite easily, to me that would be taking the piss.
Im not going back on forwards on this - we will agree to disagree, but not how ive been brought up.
You graft, you earn - people being on sick for trivial, minor ailments is shite imo

Like how you edit your posts after ive replied like:rolleyes:
Companies can manage how many times you ring in sick quite easily, to me that would be taking the piss.
Im not going back on forwards on this - we will agree to disagree, but not how ive been brought up.
You graft, you earn - people being on sick for trivial, minor ailments is shite imo
I edited it before you replied.

I've been brought up to graft and earn. That's an irrelevant point as isn't in anyway jeopardised by being off if unwell. Let's not forget, you also have a responsibility not to spread illness about the workplace.

It's not like I've been off boatload of times with a cold. But I'd not go in coughing and barking. Seems stupid to do so to me and something I'd not be impressed with if any of my teams had done so.

Last edited:
Every place I've ever worked allowed me to take sick leave if I felt unwell. Utterly bizarre to think otherwise. Have you worked places where you're forced in like? Shocking if so.

Hi boss, it's Kyle. I won't be in today as I feel unwell.

What's up?

Got a cold.

Piss off!

:lol:

Edit. Tbf last yen years I've been able to WFH so that hasn't been as issue.

Worked for Manpower years back. On your return to work, you got a "back to work" interview where they discussed in detail the illness, why you felt the need to stay off and what they could do to stop it happening again. I even got grilled the time I went into work feeling sickly, threw up and they sent me home!

Another company was annoyed that I'd seriously inconvenienced them by having an emergency appendix removal after agreeing to do a load of overtime. They were short staffed and I left them in an even bigger hole by going on the sick.

Worked for Manpower years back. On your return to work, you got a "back to work" interview where they discussed in detail the illness, why you felt the need to stay off and what they could do to stop it happening again. I even got grilled the time I went into work feeling sickly, threw up and they sent me home!

Another company was annoyed that I'd seriously inconvenienced them by having an emergency appendix removal after agreeing to do a load of overtime. They were short staffed and I left them in an even bigger hole by going on the sick.
They sound like disgraceful Employers becs lass.

How can we stop you getting cold/flu again? Stop pressurising others to come in when they've got cold/flu.

Last edited:

When I was 19 I rang in sick before a shift and was convinced/guilt tripped on the phone by my boss that I should come in as my sickness wasn’t that bad, he sent me home about 20 minutes into my shift after seeing I was ill, this was after I had driven 35 minutes down the a19 to get to work, I then drove back again.

I edited it before you replied.

I've been brought up to graft and earn. That's an irrelevant point as isn't in anyway jeopardised by being off if unwell. Let's not forget, you also have a responsibility not to spread illness about the workplace.

It's not like I've been off boatload of times with a cold. But I'd not go in coughing and barking. Seems stupid to do so to me and something I'd not be impressed with if any of my teams had done so.
I've worked in the civil service and now work for a local authority. They both have absence management policies. Off too long or too often and you start disciplinary proceedings. The local authority I work for remove your entitlement to sick pay for a 6 month period. They were treating COVID separately but as of 1st July its classed as sick.

I've worked in the civil service and now work for a local authority. They both have absence management policies. Off too long or too often and you start disciplinary proceedings. The local authority I work for remove your entitlement to sick pay for a 6 month period. They were treating COVID separately but as of 1st July its classed as sick.
That point has never been disputed though.

That point has never been disputed though.
Not sure what point you were trying to make earlier then? If your work has removed your occupational sick pay and all you'll get is ssp and you don't feel well you'll go to work because you have to and spread it around.

Not sure what point you were trying to make earlier then? If your work has removed your occupational sick pay and all you'll get is ssp and you don't feel well you'll go to work because you have to and spread it around.
Or take a day or two hit in the pocket...

However, the discussion didn't start off with no sick pay. The lad said even when he was in employment with sick pay he'd always go in with a cold. I said that's daft. Then it moved into work ethic.

I worked in the CS in the past. You get sick pay. I stayed off with a cold occasionally. So what point were you attempting to make when mentioning the CS?

Last edited:
Or take a day or two hit in the pocket...

However, the discussion didn't start off with no sick pay. The lad said even when he was in employment with sick pay he'd always go in with a cold. I said that's daft. Then it moved into work ethic.

I worked in the CS in the past. You get sick pay. I stayed off with a cold occasionally. So what point were you attempting to make when mentioning the CS?
That if your off to often they open disciplinary proceedings against you. You seemed to be suggesting that you can just stay off whenever you weren't feeling 100%. That's not the case.

That if your off to often they open disciplinary proceedings against you. You seemed to be suggesting that you can just stay off whenever you weren't feeling 100%. That's not the case.
I was t. I said there's owt wrong with staying off with a cold (that was challenged, and work ethic brought into it). As I have done it more than once whilst in the CS, and all has been well I think that proves my point.

I was t. I said there's owt wrong with staying off with a cold (that was challenged, and work ethic brought into it). As I have done it more than once whilst in the CS, and all has been well I think that proves my point.
Was the 'Bradford Factor' in use when you were in the Civil Service?

That's the b@stard that triggers the automatic formal warnings etc. Unless, of course, you've got a canny boss like me, who ignores them and closes them down with 'no further action needed'.

That's the b@stard that triggers the automatic formal warnings etc. Unless, of course, you've got a canny boss like me, who ignores them and closes them down with 'no further action needed'.
Doesn't ring any bells tbh.

We use that at work. No common sense applied to it at all at our place. 2 people who were off after having cancer and a heart attack were giving warnings on their return. We only get SSP as well.

We use that at work. No common sense applied to it at all at our place. 2 people who were off after having cancer and a heart attack were giving warnings on their return. We only get SSP as well.
Those type of scenarios are when you need someone who doesn't slavishly follow the policy.

There is scope for individual Line Managers to override the automatic warnings, or simply close them down but a lot don't bother and simply follow the guidance to the letter because it's easier for them.

I used to manage one bloke whose Bradford Factor was up in the 400s (probably higher) because he insisted on returning to work after every short bout of sick leave instead of taking longer periods of time off to try and sort himself out properly. He wasn't a well man and putting him through the recommended disciplinary measures and 'performance plans' would have only made things worse.

He's no longer with us, unfortunately, but I'd like to think that things were a little less stressful for him when he was suffering, knowing that some drone-like martinet wasn't going to put him through unnecessary disciplinary procedures due to things he could not control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back