UK Covid levels rise 30% in a week to estimated 2.3m cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cases in my trust have gone from mid 20s to high 80s in about three weeks. Since we got rid of masks two weeks ago cases in staff are also significantly up. One of the adjacent wards to the one I work on has nine staff off currently. I was talking to one of the pharmacists who told me they have never had as many people off in their team as currently and are struggling to maintain the service. My own ward has had an outbreak declared and has two junior doctors currently off out of a team of six. Visiting is suspended again. For something which is 'owa' it doesn't seem sustainable.

I guess if there is another wave of this coming then the timing could be quite helpful. Summertime when people are outdoors more is going to be much better than winter I guess.

I guess if there is another wave of this coming then the timing could be quite helpful. Summertime when people are outdoors more is going to be much better than winter I guess.
Unfortunately it's not getting it out of the way before winter though. It's nailed on there'll be a winter wave as well

I guess another wave would be quite different here now as we have 2 years of info, behaviour and people being sick of restrictions. I struggle to see anything more than masks coming back in, and even then the numbers would have to be pretty bad for them to return

I guess another wave would be quite different here now as we have 2 years of info, behaviour and people being sick of restrictions. I struggle to see anything more than masks coming back in, and even then the numbers would have to be pretty bad for them to return
surely another booster must be due for a lot of people ?

How the hell do they know the numbers of infected people ?
A few of my mates or relatives have it, they didn’t report it.
and I guess many have it but didn’t even bother to test.

Scotland weeks ahead with these variants and the increase is now drying up. This looks like nearly the peak of the wave (about 1 in 18) rather than the take off of a bigger one.

Surely, at last, an element of herd immunity must be kicking in now and this will settle down to being similar to flu.

Last edited:
The press have obviously been asked to start (quite rightly) warning people to be careful again as they haven't even mentioned the word covid since winter then all of a sudden its all over the place again today with massive headlines.

Hmm

Cheers marra. It is over mind, it's not seasonal I'm told... unless of course it is seasonal

Sweden got it rightt, none of the nonsense needed to happen Every single graph masks, no masks, lovdoen. No lockdown, same result. Uttet nonsense and certainly now done. Totally seasonal.. DONE

It's certainly a bad bug, but it is seasonal. That means we have at least 3 months grace and we are burning the candle from both ends, vaccine and also youngsters with anti bodies. The problem is they calculated the risk from that cruise ship which didn't factor in age.either way I'm pretty concerned about this vaccinating kids business.

Yep.all back to normal, refreshing. And as the resident experts tell us its not seasonal, we are back to norma,l superb.

--

Month on month comparisons are mostly useless, because the virus doesn’t follow a strict seasonal trend

I think we need to establish a difference between seasonal, and seasonality. If COVID was inherently seasonal, and could not thrive in the heat, California wouldn't have had a first wave in July and August.

Yes, there are aspects of seasonality and respiratory diseases thrive in winter environments where people are indoors and meeting people and it's cold, but COVID doesn't just go away because it's warm.

Not bad mate, yourself? Wouldn't pass up an opportunity to call out another one of the forum's repeat offenders for when it comes to fake news, lies and bad science.
Sound aye. Fair enough, never see much of oldie now as i binned the politics forum. is he still around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back