UK car industry decimated by EU Membership

810,000 of the 2.7m cars sold in the UK last year originate in Germany alone. Nissan in Sunderland made 507k over all - 350k went overseas..
Does that not simply tell you that the people of the UK generally prefer imported cars and don't generally want Nissans and the sort?

After reading the rubbish posted on here by Remainiacs lets us have some facts concerning the UK car industry and EU membership.

We import far more cars from the EU than we export. This, for the benefit of remainiacs and Labour voters, is what is known as a deficit. I.e. buying more than sell or importing more than you export.

In reality, what this means is the EU is seriously damaging our own car industry.

Last year the UK had a trade deficit with the EU of some £61bn. That is quite a lot of money! £29bn of this shameful figure is a direct consequence of importing cars from Germany and France.

So we lose access to the single market and go to WTO terms. Big deal!

If the EU want to impose tariffs on UK built cars sold in the EU then the UK will reciprocate. Since we import more than export it could be quite a money earner. Based on current figures a 10% duty on EU made cars could generate nearly £3bn for the Treasury a year.

If the EU wants to play hardball - we ban the import of German and French cars in the short to medium term and provide incentives to encourage UK consumers to buy UK built cars.

Over a million jobs in Germany are reliant on the sale of cars to the UK. Do you really think German business and the German Government is going to risk all those jobs for the European Union?

People may not like doing without their VW's, Audi, BMW, Mercedes or Citroen but there is still plenty of choice.

The growth in demand for Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Jaguar, Ford, Vauxhall, Land Rover, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Lotus, Aston Martin, etc will more then alleviate the treat of job losses that arises as a result of not exporting cars to the EU.

We could even bring back historic Marques with modern recreations of Triumph, Rover, MG, Austin Healey, Alvis, Talbot – who manufactured some of the best cars ever produced – before the Labour and their trade union friends brought the industry to its knees in the 60’s and 70’s.

So Nissan workers, ignore those who want to sell your nation to a foreign power. They probably have EU funded Jobs and are only looking after their own interests.

Great read. Thanks.

There will be a whole new opportunity for cars being imported from the States that are of comparable quality..
Comparable to what? I have hired probably 20 different models of American car when I lived out there, and they were mostly shite, some of them hilariously so.

Comparable to what? I have hired probably 20 different models of American car when I lived out there, and they were mostly shite, some of them hilariously so.
I cant see the facination with people buying over priced Mercedes Benz, BMW or Audi's for that matter. Most vehicles nowadays are that reliable or have extended warranties that forking out £50 or £60K on any german car is good business. Mind, having driven the new gull winged Tesla, I certainly can recommend that one

When I worked at Nissan they used to bid on the productuon of cars for x amount of years in competition with other Nissan factories.

If that's still the case it wouldn't cost them to much to move each car to different factories already set up and that aren't working to full capacity. At the same time slow down production at the Nissan plant. Go to 1 line, reduce shift pattern, number of stations etc.

Hope it never happens but it wouldn't be to hard or that costly for them to do I don't think.
That’s still the case!
NMUK will not just pack up and leave they’ve (Japan) have invested to much into the plant.
Reduce production - possibly!

Back