Uber

Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea why some people think it's a cost effective miracle, costs roughly the same as station. I'll use über around London or whatever but I'll still use the local rank if I need a cab here.

Use to driver for them too before I got my Sunderland license. Worst mistake I've ever made.

Depends heavily on where you are. In most places in the US, for example, it's often 50-70% the cost of a cab, and the cars are almost universally in better condition and more competently driven. The problem for Uber trying to be a worldwide platform is what you note: the business proposition depends on an available workforce willing to use their own autos for hire, but more importantly it requires that taxis be bad enough that you can create the value proposition. Classic American company problem: the U.S. is a pretty odd place in the context of the wider world.

for business and if i'm heading out with our lass (no), i use an uber. professional, comfortable, clean and most of all, quiet. i can sit in the uber and switch off for 20 minutes with no noise, and the drivers don't bother you. they're also miles cheaper. i only use a black cab if i can't be arsed to wait.

Depends heavily on where you are. In most places in the US, for example, it's often 50-70% the cost of a cab, and the cars are almost universally in better condition and more competently driven. The problem for Uber trying to be a worldwide platform is what you note: the business proposition depends on an available workforce willing to use their own autos for hire, but more importantly it requires that taxis be bad enough that you can create the value proposition. Classic American company problem: the U.S. is a pretty odd place in the context of the wider world.
Cars.

which is the original concept of car sharing.
Last time I was out in Silicon Valley, the radio was full of ads for folks who don't use their car during the week to hire it out uber-style to get a bit return on it.

I'm not fully sure of the logistics of it all, but I could see that kind of thing working in London where folks have a car parked up 90% of the time just depreciating away.

Last time I was out in Silicon Valley, the radio was full of ads for folks who don't use their car during the week to hire it out uber-style to get a bit return on it.

I'm not fully sure of the logistics of it all, but I could see that kind of thing working in London where folks have a car parked up 90% of the time just depreciating away.

Was talking to a lad who has just ditched his car and we were discussing this very thing.. he was looking at the usual car club stuff which didn't get good reviews and found about the stuff you are on about... Don't know own how insurance lark would work on that

Theres a one I've heard of thats like a car version of air bnb not sure how it works but it seems to be aimed at out of town folk as an alternative to car hire

Are these common round Sunderland yet? I don't think I've seen many.
Ive seen loads about, every one has a newcastle licence plate on, dunno how they get away with it

There could be some right dodgepots working for them. Imagine the Newcastle ones.
They all newcastle plates working in sunland

They'll soon realise that nee fucka gans out in sunland and fuck off back to skunkland

Last edited by a moderator:
Tomayto, tomahto. At least I didn't say vehicles (vee-hick-els).
Tomato, tomato and vehicle.

Ive seen loads about, every one has a newcastle licence plate on, dunno how they get away with it

They all newcastle plates working in sunland

They'll soon realise that nee fucka gans out in sunland and fuck off back to skunkland
:lol:
I'm not particularly arsed to be honest mate.

I use them as often as possible in Sunderland and elsewhere. Much better service than the local companies, cheaper, comes straight off your card and no tip. Got picked up from the Roker the other week in a 60k merc. You don't get that from Troy's.

What's not to like?

I use them as often as possible in Sunderland and elsewhere. Much better service than the local companies, cheaper, comes straight off your card and no tip. Got picked up from the Roker the other week in a 60k merc. You don't get that from Troy's.

What's not to like?
I can see you dinit get out much if ya think troys are still going

*you're. I'm, uh, arsed about that.
Schoolboy error !

I can see you dinit get out much if ya think troys are still going

Schoolboy error !

As are the space before the exclamation point in the quoted post and the missing punctuation in "I've" in the previous one, but I only needed to point one out to make the point that I'm a pedantic shit. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back