Uber Ride - London

Never used Uber before, but will in London in a fortnight or so with the family, and was wondering if London based SMBers could give me the lowdown. Is it worth using Ubers instead of public transport? There will be 4 of us - am I right in thinking that we will have to order Uber XL (from my limited research). Any advice welcomed.
Ubers much cheaper than black cabs, but tube is brilliant and cheap so use that if possible.
Normal Uber is fine for 4 usually. Not sure if it's different because of covid
It is, you need Uber XL for 4 at the minute.

Last edited:

I'm down in a week or so. I was wondering if anyone can explain the contactless card system with two six year olds? I have a card, as does Mrs Harmonic (no), for the same account but that should be fine. The six year olds should travel free, but do I need and Oyster card for that or can they travel free if we use contactless payment? If we can just use our contactless cards how does it work, do we tap and two of us go through, then tap and the other two go through? Ta
We used to buy Oyster cards each but don't now. You can just individually tap your bank card on entering the underground and rail systems and use same card to tap out. Beware, if you forget to tap out with same card you'll be charged to the end of the line. Sorry I'm not sure what happens with the bairns.

What’s the conflict between black cans and Uber? Serious question
Uber have heavily cut into their market share, predominantly due to lower fares but also ease of booking. The fare thing has given them a huge and unfair advantage as Uber subsides its fares heavily and runs at a significant loss.

No. It'll almost always be quicker and cheaper by bus or tube.
Not necessarily like when me and a mate went to see stone roses and his lass booked the wrong hotel it was much quicker and cheaper using uber tbh.
If you were just dotting around Central London I'd agree though, or walk.

Uber have heavily cut into their market share, predominantly due to lower fares but also ease of booking. The fare thing has given them a huge and unfair advantage as Uber subsides its fares heavily and runs at a significant loss.
This and they don’t need to do the knowledge, pass any real checks, don’t need to invest in kit such as card readers or meters and buy a black cab. Got car, will drive.

Back