Uber Ride - London

No. It'll almost always be quicker and cheaper by bus or tube.

And cheaper to walk. If you are in Zone 1 then London isn't as big as you might think.

Make you you get the Citymapper app. Much better than Google Maps for offering options on how to get around.

Never used Uber before, but will in London in a fortnight or so with the family, and was wondering if London based SMBers could give me the lowdown. Is it worth using Ubers instead of public transport? There will be 4 of us - am I right in thinking that we will have to order Uber XL (from my limited research). Any advice welcomed.
Normal Uber is fine for 4 usually. Not sure if it's different because of covid

I'm down in a week or so. I was wondering if anyone can explain the contactless card system with two six year olds? I have a card, as does Mrs Harmonic (no), for the same account but that should be fine. The six year olds should travel free, but do I need and Oyster card for that or can they travel free if we use contactless payment? If we can just use our contactless cards how does it work, do we tap and two of us go through, then tap and the other two go through? Ta
My wife (no) and I took the two grandsons out in London a couple of weeks ago, (ages 8 and 10), we both used a contactless card (different accounts, not sure how it would have worked with the same account tbh) and we each took a grandson each through luggage gates every time, no problem, doesn't have to be an Oyster Card as far as I am aware (I googled it and it says up to 4 children for one fare-paying adult using pay-as-you-go methods (so assume that is Oyster or Contactless).

My wife (no) and I took the two grandsons out in London a couple of weeks ago, (ages 8 and 10), we both used a contactless card (different accounts, not sure how it would have worked with the same account tbh) and we each took a grandson each through luggage gates every time, no problem, doesn't have to be an Oyster Card as far as I am aware (I googled it and it says up to 4 children for one fare-paying adult using pay-as-you-go methods (so assume that is Oyster or Contactless).

Using two cards on the same joint account is fine as they will have different card numbers.

If you are a regular visitor to London it is worth registering your card as it make claiming for refunds easier and you can get a full journey history.

And cheaper to walk. If you are in Zone 1 then London isn't as big as you might think.

Make you you get the Citymapper app. Much better than Google Maps for offering options on how to get around.
I do this all the time now.

Walked from Aldgate to Borough market for a few drinks on Saturday.

Did the walk home too apparently but can’t remember it

Normal Uber is fine for 4 usually. Not sure if it's different because of covid
Ordered Uber 3 wks ago and as the driver pulled up, he announced NO front seat passengers, he said we wouldn't find an Uber in the UK that would take anyone in the front seat. My reply was , ' what, apart from the one that dropped us 4 off about 3 hours ago? ' ( prick)

Ordered Uber 3 wks ago and as the driver pulled up, he announced NO front seat passengers, he said we wouldn't find an Uber in the UK that would take anyone in the front seat. My reply was , ' what, apart from the one that dropped us 4 off about 3 hours ago? ' ( prick)

Some of their drivers are awful.

I do this all the time now.

Walked from Aldgate to Borough market for a few drinks on Saturday.

Did the walk home too apparently but can’t remember it

One of the uses of Google Maps is that if you have location history turned on it will tell you which way you went home.

Bloke working for minimum wage (if that) wants to reduce the chances of catching a virus that is spreading like wildfire. What a dickhead, eh?
Bloke working for minimum wage (if that) wants to reduce the chances of catching a virus that is spreading like wildfire. What a dickhead, eh?

Back