Uber Ride - London

Spot on in my experience.

Even left me phone in one late one night and the gadgey brought it back to the hotel and left it at the desk for me. :cool:
With Station Taxis, if you think you've lost something the first thing they ask you on the phone is what was the cab number. Obviously nobody on God's green and pleasant Earth will take a note of the cab number before they get in. They then fob you off. This happened to me so I did start making note of the numbers, and surprised the fuck out of the lass on the phone after my ex had left her mobile in the taxi. When I gave the lass on the phone the cab number it was like she didn't know what to do next. Driver got radioed, brought the phone back, got a tenner as a thank you off us. Otherwise, Station are a pain in the arse.

Been down here 38yrs and I doubt I’ve used a black cab, mini cab or Uber more than ten times when the pubs have been open. Public transport for me….tight as owt. In central London you’re rarely more than ten mins walk from a tube or train station.

Never used Uber before, but will in London in a fortnight or so with the family, and was wondering if London based SMBers could give me the lowdown. Is it worth using Ubers instead of public transport? There will be 4 of us - am I right in thinking that we will have to order Uber XL (from my limited research). Any advice welcomed.
We’re down regularly and use Uber when needed, rather than Hackney cabs. Reasonable for the capital. They have hard plastic sheets between drivers and back seat of the car due to COVID.

I'm down in a week or so. I was wondering if anyone can explain the contactless card system with two six year olds? I have a card, as does Mrs Harmonic (no), for the same account but that should be fine. The six year olds should travel free, but do I need and Oyster card for that or can they travel free if we use contactless payment? If we can just use our contactless cards how does it work, do we tap and two of us go through, then tap and the other two go through? Ta

I'm down in a week or so. I was wondering if anyone can explain the contactless card system with two six year olds? I have a card, as does Mrs Harmonic (no), for the same account but that should be fine. The six year olds should travel free, but do I need and Oyster card for that or can they travel free if we use contactless payment? If we can just use our contactless cards how does it work, do we tap and two of us go through, then tap and the other two go through? Ta
On buses you tap in and kids just walk on. On tubes you tap through the luggage gates and take the bairns through with you.

Cheers. Every other time we've been we've bought travelcards (Oystercards?) and used those and managed to get ourselves around OK. Was wondering if it would be any quicker by Uber, but I appreciate the advice.

I usually like to walk when I'm in London too, but got the kids with us this time, and don't want to wear them out too much - makes them whinge. Buses have always worked for us in the past. Cheers.
For all of you an Uber will be far more convenient and probably cost the same as long as you aren’t making several trips in a day

It probably goes without saying, but don't try and walk the kids through the normal ticket barriers after you as they'll slam shut in their faces. Only use the wider luggage barriers. There's at least one at each station so you'll have no issues.
To be honest I knew about the luggage gates, but failed miserably to put two and two together. Thanks for your help.

I was speaking to a mate of a mate who turned out to be a black cab driver , he stated quite clearly that he doesn’t use black cabs when in London , walk or tube.

Tells you all .

Back