Uber Ride - London

Tomma

Striker
Never used Uber before, but will in London in a fortnight or so with the family, and was wondering if London based SMBers could give me the lowdown. Is it worth using Ubers instead of public transport? There will be 4 of us - am I right in thinking that we will have to order Uber XL (from my limited research). Any advice welcomed.

No. It'll almost always be quicker and cheaper by bus or tube.
Cheers. Every other time we've been we've bought travelcards (Oystercards?) and used those and managed to get ourselves around OK. Was wondering if it would be any quicker by Uber, but I appreciate the advice.
I like to walk as much as possible but its great for a night out. Use it all the time. The buses are also very good (and cheap) mind.
I usually like to walk when I'm in London too, but got the kids with us this time, and don't want to wear them out too much - makes them whinge. Buses have always worked for us in the past. Cheers.

Last edited:
Cheers. Every other time we've been we've bought travelcards (Oystercards?) and used those and managed to get ourselves around OK. Was wondering if it would be any quicker by Uber, but I appreciate the advice.

I usually like to walk when I'm in London too, but got the kids with us this time, and don't want to wear them out too much - makes them whinge. Buses have always worked for us in the past. Cheers.
Don’t buy travel cards if you do the public transport thing, just tap with a contactless card

it will depend on where you are, and how much you travel. If you’re moving about all day then public transport will be way cheaper (there is a daily cap), a one off trip and uber may be cheaper/easier

Given they're tourists I've assumed zone 1 like.

Bus lanes and crippling congestion.
Yeah, mostly Zone 1. Parking in Canada Water (booked someone's drive using some app thing), staying in Kensington, but everything we're doing is central.
Don’t buy travel cards if you do the public transport thing, just tap with a contactless card

it will depend on where you are, and how much you travel. If you’re moving about all day then public transport will be way cheaper (there is a daily cap), a one off trip and uber may be cheaper/easier/?
How does the contactless card thing work if there's 4 of us, is it just as simple as one cardholder tapping for the family? I know this sounds stupid, but genuinely don't know how it all works.

Last edited:
Yeah, mostly Zone 1. Parking in Canada Water (booked someone's drive using some app thing), staying in Kensington, but everything we're doing is central.

How does the contactless card thing work if there's 4 of us, is it just as simple as one cardholder tapping for the family? I know this sounds stupid, but genuinely don't know how it all works.
No. You will all need to tap separate cards I think (depending on age of kids I guess).

As Chunky says, if you're making multiple trips then public transport will save you a lot of money.

It's only £1.55 to use the bus as many times as you want within the hour (any route, any service). Plus there's a daily cap of around 8 quid for unlimited tube and buses, so you can never spend more than that.

You'll need a card each though. How old are you the kids? Buses and tube are free for under 11s if they're with a parent with an Oyster card.

Me and somebody else have used two cards linked to the same shared account before without any trouble. Same account, different cards.

You’ll probably need different cards as if you use the same one the system probably won’t like you tapping in multiple times in one station, it’ll think you’ve skipped a fare or something.

However, one card might work on busses as you only tap in and not out of those

As Chunky says, if you're making multiple trips then public transport will save you a lot of money.

It's only £1.55 to use the bus as many times as you want within the hour (any route, any service). Plus there's a daily cap of around 8 quid for unlimited tube and buses, so you can never spend more than that.

You'll need a card each though. How old are you the kids? Buses and tube are free for under 11s if they're with a parent with an Oyster card.
Kids are 17 and 12 - 17 year old has a card but 12 year old doesn't. Can't even pretend he's 11 either - he's about 5 foot 15!

Was there last weekend and the tubes were off. Legs were fuked on the night so got a couple ubers.

Next day the tubes were back on and it was a piece of piss especially with the contactless.

Back