Uber losses

Why not just use a taxi? I've used Uber a few times and it was no cheaper than using a taxi except the Uber driver had no idea where he was going.
Exactly. Decent taxi firms these days you can book through ya phone exactly like Uber and pay on ya card.

I'm going to give it a go next time I'm in town then. Seems I've either been unlucky or there are more cars now than there was a year ago.
Aye I just normally check about 15 mins before I want to head off to see what's about but never really have much bother. Much cheaper generally too, from the green at wardley to match is bout 12 quid, nearer 20 with diff taxi firms.
Even just for short trips local I use them all of the time, have the odd niggle but have had plenty late taxis with normal firms, probably moreso tbh.

Once driverless cars come, they will make billions. It’s all about getting market share ready for that.

Driverless vehicles are a long way off in the cities with the population density necessary to support the investment. You'll see them on long-distance lorries going between depots on motorway spurs way before you'll see them in a city.

If Uber wanted to replace their owner-driver fleet (circa 4m) with company-owned vehicles - just normal family saloons without EV or driverless - it would cost them well over $100bn. It is not clear to me whether their investors will stomach their loss making for the however many years it will take to get regulatory approval for driverless vehicles in lots of big cities, and THEN have to fork out billions more to actually buy the cars.

I don't understand this theory of them making a killing when driverless cars come in.

Lets say, in 15-20 years time, when/if driverless cars are available, why would you phone an uber after a night on the piss, when you could get your own driverless car to pick you up and drive you home?

I don't understand this theory of them making a killing when driverless cars come in.

Lets say, in 15-20 years time, when/if driverless cars are available, why would you phone an uber after a night on the piss, when you could get your own driverless car to pick you up and drive you home?

I think the idea will be that in the future you rent cars from super companies rather than owning them. Uber is trying to be that company.

By that time cars will be old tech. Ill get my remote hoverboard and fly home from the piss like one of the bad guys from Highlander 2.

I think the idea is that people won't own cars in the same way they do now. Instead you'll order a driverless Uber to go everywhere and with enough on the roads never wait longer than a couple of mins. Without the overhead of paying a driver it'll work out competitively with car ownership without the head aches of MOTs, parking and the like. I also don't think they will own all of their cars; instead people will invest in driverless cars and allow Uber to run them. The owner is then responsible for maintaining and cleaning etc.

At least that's my understanding of it. I could see that working in the big cities but not sure if it would catch on outside of those areas or with our generations who are attached to having their own cars. Future generations might see it differently.

I think the idea will be that in the future you rent cars from super companies rather than owning them. Uber is trying to be that company.

By that time cars will be old tech. Ill get my remote hoverboard and fly home from the piss like one of the bad guys from Highlander 2.
Wow, The Jetsons have finally arrived

The idea is that you don’t need to own a car anymore.

All the investors who are going to make money from Uber have already made their money
Once driverless cars come, they will make billions. It’s all about getting market share ready for that.

When driverless cars come in someone will make billions. Not sure that's going to be Uber - its the reverse of their current business model

Last edited:

Back