Types of holidays you haven't been on.

Cruise. I'd be bored shitless.
Doing a Baltic one this year. Oslo, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Gothenburg, Stockholm, Tallinn, St Petersburg. Travel to each place on your hotel :cool: and see a different place every day. What`s not to like:D It`s like Inter Rail without the smelly students :lol:

My mates have been on a few. They absolutely love it. Get a decent drinks package, go somewhere interesting - sorted.

We tried it for this very reason. Stop off at a few different places, and 'free drink' on the boat.

And I dont think i'd ever do it again (havent ruled out river cruises). The cabins creaked all night so never got much sleep. Boat rocked all over (it wasnt one of those geet massive ships & time of year meant seas were generally a bit choppy). 90% of fellow travellers were pensioners. I knew the entertainment would be a bit 'holiday camp' so generally avoided that anyway.

I did like visiting different ports & the food was canny, but theyre not for me.

We tried it for this very reason. Stop off at a few different places, and 'free drink' on the boat.

And I dont think i'd ever do it again (havent ruled out river cruises). The cabins creaked all night so never got much sleep. Boat rocked all over (it wasnt one of those geet massive ships & time of year meant seas were generally a bit choppy). 90% of fellow travellers were pensioners. I knew the entertainment would be a bit 'holiday camp' so generally avoided that anyway.

I did like visiting different ports & the food was canny, but theyre not for me.

Do you get much time in the ports to look around and is it busy? I've seen groups being whizzed around places, which put me off as I like to wander around and make it up as we go along.

When we've visited popular places (Gib, Venice, Capri etc), I look up the dock timetables and pick a day when there isn't a cruise ship visiting to avoid the crowds!

Do you get much time in the ports to look around and is it busy? I've seen groups being whizzed around places, which put me off as I like to wander around and make it up as we go along.

When we've visited popular places (Gib, Venice, Capri etc), I look up the dock timetables and pick a day when there isn't a cruise ship visiting to avoid the crowds!

You're generally there first thing in morning, then leave 4-5pm ish depending on distance to next port.

They do try to flog you overpriced tours for stuff thats maybe an hour away from the port. But we didnt bother & just spent the day wandering around town, having a pop in local museum etc.

I didnt find it crowded, but then it wasnt places where you get tons of tourists & cruise ships. That said ive been to cruise port places like Taormina & Dubrovnik (not on cruise) and they are quite heaving with cruise tours.

I went on a Caribbean cruise as part of my honeymoon. First & last time that will ever happen. We saw some fantastic places, but the ports of call are extortionate & just aimed & ripping off the tourists.

Skiing holiday - can see the appeal but not for me.
Safari

Bearing in mind I hate flying and my wife hates the sea, it doesn't leave us too much scope.
However, I've been on holiday by plane a few times, because my wife wanted to go and I wasn't about to wreck it for her.
Generally we holiday up the north east coast with the odd west coast (Scotland way) mixed in.

We're mainly caravan holidays.

You could say I'm a bit of a chicken. I'm over cautious. I'm one of those who thinks about the parts of a plane ratehr than just enjoying the flight.
I seriously want to beat myself up at times.:D

If it's purely just the flying you hate, get an interrail pass, plan, and do 2 weeks around Germany/Austria/Hungary/Czech Rep. cities (roughly) and back without having to step foot in an airport.

Cruise. I'd be bored shitless.

But the entertainment man..... Pop Idol quarter finalists singing ‘Love is in the Air’ with a live 3-piece band. All those nice 50-60 year old couples, Maureen and Keith, who have parked their Mercedes at the docks car park - you’d see them every evening on your table. Tripping off with hundreds of others to see “the sights”. What’s not to like about that?

skiing not too popular then...!

both my last (last month) and my next (this month) holidays are ski holidays. well in the SMB minority here

Back