Tyne Tunnel

The addressed this recently. They don't want to add contactless for 3 reasons

1 - They want to encourage people to use their app & prepayment methods
2 - Contactless for terminal payments is quite a pain to get set up - its not as simple as it seems
3 - Setting it up would slow down the progress on the project to remove the barriers, which is what they want asap

Sorry like but buskers are taking contactless payments, it’s not that hard to set-up.

They should have number plate recognition and pay online for non regular users or contactless payments.

I’ve used it for the first time over the summer as I don’t live in the NE anymore and it was a WTF moment when you had to have correct change or ring a button to pay on card. It’s 2020 ffs.

My wife asked if all the north east was this backward

Ridiculous that in 2020 a piece of vital infrastructure like this still relies on coins being chucked into a basket for payment.
Whilst that's true it's surely much less of a fuck on for occasional users than having to fart around going online to pay within 24 hours like you have to do with the Dartford Crossing or London Congestion charge. It's no great difficulty for any regular user to get a permit and just use the ANPR, they don't need to chuck coins in a basket. But, if I'm from out of the area or only use it occasionally I think I'd much rather lob coins in the basket than fuck on going online and getting a ridiculous fine if I forget to do it within 24 hours.

Whilst that's true it's surely much less of a fuck on for occasional users than having to fart around going online to pay within 24 hours like you have to do with the Dartford Crossing or London Congestion charge. It's no great difficulty for any regular user to get a permit and just use the ANPR, they don't need to chuck coins in a basket. But, if I'm from out of the area or only use it occasionally I think I'd much rather lob coins in the basket than fuck on going online and getting a ridiculous fine if I forget to do it within 24 hours.
There should be multiple options though. I'm always narked at ones that do not have a manual method. I'm always caught out by the M50 in Dublin - I've never paid the fine mind. There should be a couple of lanes for coin or card tap. Express lanes for those who have the annual pass or whatever and for those who will pay within 24 hours.
I rarely carry cash let alone coins so to have to either call someone over or to pull up and fuck on with their ancient change machine which keeps spitting your notes back at you is rubbish really.

There should be multiple options though. I'm always narked at ones that do not have a manual method. I'm always caught out by the M50 in Dublin - I've never paid the fine mind. There should be a couple of lanes for coin or card tap. Express lanes for those who have the annual pass or whatever and for those who will pay within 24 hours.
I rarely carry cash let alone coins so to have to either call someone over or to pull up and fuck on with their ancient change machine which keeps spitting your notes back at you is rubbish really.
I get your point but at somewhere like the Tyne Tunnel where you only have a very short space dividing 2 lanes of traffic to the barriers it would be carnage. It's already bad enough at busy times with traffic coming on from Jarrow where they are forced into the inside lane but don't want to go up the A19 meaning they have to cut across all the traffic when coming out of the tunnel. If you had lanes for permit, lanes for coins, lanes for online payment, lanes for CC payments, lanes for those wanting to use the A19, lanes for those not wanting to use the A19 etc. Notwithstanding the fact that you'd need all those options doubled for A19/Non A19, it would be like a 20 yard stock car race :lol:

Then there would be no need for a disability discrimination act.
Well look at the other two main anti discrimination bills, race, and sex, if you positively discriminated against one race, then that would be an offence. The sex discrimination act is different of course, if you can piss standing up you are guilty

I've a pre-paid permit thing, they're busy doing the number plate recognition, I've signed up for that too - my Employer pays my tunnel fees so I'm not bothered one way or another

Sorry like but buskers are taking contactless payments, it’s not that hard to set-up.
They should have number plate recognition and pay online for non regular users or contactless payments.

They specifically addressed that, and said it was quite hard for them to arrange. Their words, not mine.
They do have number plate recognition, but they need to apply to have the bylaw changed in order to remove the barriers - they said they want to focus solely on this, and not be distracted by interim steps.
I've a pre-paid permit thing, they're busy doing the number plate recognition, I've signed up for that too - my Employer pays my tunnel fees so I'm not bothered one way or another
Number plate recognition has been in place, and fully operational, for months. It's much more reliable than the pass was.

Frequency I think. My mate had one and used it daily to get to work. They pulled him, questioned him and confiscated it from him.
Did they? I didn't realise that the blue badge holder couldn't use it for work

Theres no mention of that in the t's and c's

Blue Badge holder TTD 5011 P a g e | 1 of 2 Reviewed and Revised December 2019 Terms and conditions of use - TT2 Free Travel with Blue Badge These Terms and Conditions apply to Blue Badge Holders showing their Badge at the Tunnels for toll exemption. The terms are intended to help avoid misuse of Blue Badges by persons not entitled to the exemption and are not in way to inconvenience disabled persons for whom the exemption is intended.
1. The toll exemption at the Tyne Tunnels only allows free passage for the Blue Badge Holder. If the Blue Badge Holder is not present, the vehicle is not entitled to the Blue Badge exemption.
2. TT2 Limited takes fraudulent use of Blue Badges very seriously, CCTV is operating at all times in all toll lanes and will carry out verification of information supplied with your application and transactions made through tolls
. 3. From time to time TT2 will audit usage of the Blue Badges by requiring the permit holder to stop at the plaza while the customer details are checked. You will be required to show your Blue Badge to a TT2 Officer and to provide evidence as required that the person holding the Blue Badge is present in the vehicle.
4. Unauthorised use of Blue Badges to gain Toll Exemption may result in The full toll in cash, cheque, credit or debit card being demanded. Prosecution for contravention of Bylaws and or, for attempted fraud. A surcharge being laid on the holder for recovery of lost toll revenue and administrative costs incurred. Information passed to Fraud Prevention Team at the relevant awarding council. Please note that the electronic permit remains the property of TT2 & should a replacement be required as a result of it being lost or damaged then a charge of £11.50 will be made to cover the cost of the replacement permit & administration. I hereby declare that the information provided on this request is true to the best of my knowledge and my signature below confirms my understanding and acceptance of the above terms and conditions. TT2 Limited Administration Building Wallsend Tyne & Wear NE28 0PD www.tt2.co.uk Email: [email protected] Telephone. 0191 262 4451 Registered in England & Wales No. 6346957 Document reference. Tyne Tunnels Blue Badge Holder

Did they? I didn't realise that the blue badge holder couldn't use it for work

Theres no mention of that in the t's and c's

Blue Badge holder TTD 5011 P a g e | 1 of 2 Reviewed and Revised December 2019 Terms and conditions of use - TT2 Free Travel with Blue Badge These Terms and Conditions apply to Blue Badge Holders showing their Badge at the Tunnels for toll exemption. The terms are intended to help avoid misuse of Blue Badges by persons not entitled to the exemption and are not in way to inconvenience disabled persons for whom the exemption is intended.
1. The toll exemption at the Tyne Tunnels only allows free passage for the Blue Badge Holder. If the Blue Badge Holder is not present, the vehicle is not entitled to the Blue Badge exemption.
2. TT2 Limited takes fraudulent use of Blue Badges very seriously, CCTV is operating at all times in all toll lanes and will carry out verification of information supplied with your application and transactions made through tolls
. 3. From time to time TT2 will audit usage of the Blue Badges by requiring the permit holder to stop at the plaza while the customer details are checked. You will be required to show your Blue Badge to a TT2 Officer and to provide evidence as required that the person holding the Blue Badge is present in the vehicle.
4. Unauthorised use of Blue Badges to gain Toll Exemption may result in The full toll in cash, cheque, credit or debit card being demanded. Prosecution for contravention of Bylaws and or, for attempted fraud. A surcharge being laid on the holder for recovery of lost toll revenue and administrative costs incurred. Information passed to Fraud Prevention Team at the relevant awarding council. Please note that the electronic permit remains the property of TT2 & should a replacement be required as a result of it being lost or damaged then a charge of £11.50 will be made to cover the cost of the replacement permit & administration. I hereby declare that the information provided on this request is true to the best of my knowledge and my signature below confirms my understanding and acceptance of the above terms and conditions. TT2 Limited Administration Building Wallsend Tyne & Wear NE28 0PD www.tt2.co.uk Email: [email protected] Telephone. 0191 262 4451 Registered in England & Wales No. 6346957 Document reference. Tyne Tunnels Blue Badge Holder
He fell down on point one I think. But how they knew that he wasn’t the badge holder I don’t know.

Back