Tyne Tunnel

I guess they say to councils that they’ll absorb all the costs as long as they keep the profits, which it will eventually turn a profit.

£65 a month. That’s more than my insurance and VED put together. It’s more than some people spend a month on petrol.
Its actually a disgrace. There's tunnels all over the country that have never even considered being chargable on use.
Yet this one (and a small number of others in the UK) are different for *reasons*.

Why do the blue badge holders get it for free? My mates wife works at bt and uses it every day, they have a canny wage coming in per month + her allowances, if you are on the dole you have to pay, or a oap you have to pay, yet they dont? If they did it would bring the cost down for all users surely, let the abuse begin!

f***ing hell man, can’t you google the answers before you ask on here? How did bird botherers ever get through life before this forum etc etc

That isn’t exactly modern like
It does the trick and has done since the manned booths were took away. If people want to throw change away and then complain about it thats up to them i suppose.

Personally iv got a permit for the car which works out 10% cheaper, and the bike is free.
Eeeee, gerraway.
Your complaining. Not me. It does give you change, you just cannot be arsed to use it.

Last edited:
It does the trick and has done since the manned booths were took away. If people want to throw change away and then complain about it thats up to them i suppose.

Personally iv got a permit for the car which works out 10% cheaper, and the bike is free.

I’ve used the Humber Bridge a few times, much better system IMO. Pay at the booth if you want, or just use the fast lane which reads your plate and you pay online. Just like the Dart charge. ANPR every booth and pay it online.

I’ve used the Humber Bridge a few times, much better system IMO. Pay at the booth if you want, or just use the fast lane which reads your plate and you pay online. Just like the Dart charge. ANPR every booth and pay it online.
The Tunnel is the same more or less when you think about it.

That's their medium-term goal. Coming soon, apparently.

Actually sounds a right fuck on to get exemption, so if I was a blue badge holder who didn’t use it regularly, not sure I could be bothered with applying.

My Dad had a couple of appointments at North Tyneside hospital. My Mam just paid as she said it was easier than faffing on and getting a blue badge exemption.

No it’s not, you can’t as I understand pay online or even contactless at the barrier.
You have to buzz someone out to pay on card
It’s 2020 man, embarrassing that it’s operated in a way this is out of 1920.
The addressed this recently. They don't want to add contactless for 3 reasons

1 - They want to encourage people to use their app & prepayment methods
2 - Contactless for terminal payments is quite a pain to get set up - its not as simple as it seems
3 - Setting it up would slow down the progress on the project to remove the barriers, which is what they want asap

Is it not a breach of the disability discrimination act ? If it is an offence to discriminate against someone in a negative way, then it must be an offence to discriminate against them in a positive way.

Back