Tyne Tunnel

TopCat

Striker
Bringing in automatic reg plate recognition later this month but not removing the barriers. So, instead of large queues where people have no credit, no cash or where the sensor doesn't recognise their permit there will be......large queues where the sensors don't recognise the reg number or people haven't registered etc

Apparently they are "in talks" to look at removing the barriers at some point in the future like the Dartford Crossing:rolleyes:

Why not just do it once and do it properly?

When I lived in Korea, they had the HiPass system.

Plebs would have to stop and pay cash for the many toll roads/ tunnels but the HiPass card allowed you to get through a gated lane at reasonable speed.
There was an option to pre-pay or direct debit.

What I’m saying is, there are proven systems available and this shit shouldn’t be a problem in this day and age. I’m quite surprised they are half arsing the job.

Aye, had the email off them. I've got a permit so really no difference to me, still pull up and wait, and it won't improve the quewes or time through tolls massively, removing the barriers is the only thing that will.

The FAQs say that if you have an exemption pass then you still need to use that instead.

Great work lads and lasses :lol:

This has just reminded me. I’m sure I read on here some time ago that one of the covenants imposed on the tune tunnel original build was that anyone accessing the A1 would have a free right of way. You’d need to stop and ask for this and as I’m not a skip rat, it nots something I’ve tested.

This has just reminded me. I’m sure I read on here some time ago that one of the covenants imposed on the tune tunnel original build was that anyone accessing the A1 would have a free right of way. You’d need to stop and ask for this and as I’m not a skip rat, it nots something I’ve tested.
It's true. It's in ancient scripture dug up at arbeia fort.

When I lived in Korea, they had the HiPass system.

Plebs would have to stop and pay cash for the many toll roads/ tunnels but the HiPass card allowed you to get through a gated lane at reasonable speed.
There was an option to pre-pay or direct debit.

What I’m saying is, there are proven systems available and this shit shouldn’t be a problem in this day and age. I’m quite surprised they are half arsing the job.

I’ve used a similar system in France and USA where there’s no need to stop.

What’s not clear from the email is if this will only apply to permit holders.

Was reading about the nikih system used in Japan. Scanners at the tunnel and over a 3 month period this is added to your annual car tax and monies distributed centrally .

Back