Tyne Tunnel changes

Fantastic news, the A19 can now be used as a better alternative to the A1 for those travelling from the North heading South. The A1 currently has two sets of major roadworks for the next few years aswell.

Tyne Tunnel barriers are set to vanish in 2021 - this is what will replace them

as someone who’s driven through the roadworks at the TT , Silverlink and Testos a lot over the years , I’ve got nothing but admiration for the way the traffic has been dealt with and in effect kept moving.

I had the same to be fair. Obviously being a knacker and assumed that with no barriers they'd read my number plate automatically rather than having to stop and wait for the light. With WFH it was my first time going through in a while, and although it's signed I don't think it's sign posted too well.

I appealed on the basis it was my first time going through in a while due to Covid, so I expected it to be automatic, and like you say, if they have the technology to register my number plate to issue the fine, why can't they just take the payment out of my account?

Suprisingly they agreed and waived the fine as a good will gesture, advising me to stop in future. Might be worth telling your mate if they haven't already paid.

This was a few weeks back, think they just paid to get it over and done with.

I think the penalty is more for jumping the red rather than going through without paying.

I find that the ANPR system can be quite temperamental tbh and 9 times out of 10 I have to press the assistance intercom button and read them my reg for them to manualy open the barrier remotely.

This was a few weeks back, think they just paid to get it over and done with.

I think the penalty is more for jumping the red rather than going through without paying.

I find that the ANPR system can be quite temperamental tbh and 9 times out of 10 I have to press the assistance intercom button and read them my reg for them to manualy open the barrier remotely.
So you only get through 10% of the time without assistance? I use it regularly each week and have never encountered a problem. Are you sure your reg is clear and you are stopping in the right place?

I have always been dubious at how their machines would click money if you did not have the right change. Imagine how much money they must make from people who just have 2 quid coins etc, 1000s of people paying 20p more.
They got 40p extra from me this week

So you only get through 10% of the time without assistance? I use it regularly each week and have never encountered a problem. Are you sure your reg is clear and you are stopping in the right place?

Its a strange one, obviously thousands get through without issue. Ive tried numerous different things cleaning plates beforehand if I know I am travelling through tunnel, approaching slowly/leaving various gaps etc etc. Im assuming the ANPR is set at an optimum spot for reading the vast majority of plates and for some reason I must fall into a small minority where it just struggles to pick it up.

However it does seem im not alone with this as another poster on this thread and a friend of mine have both been fined when the ANPR system has not picked their plates up to turn the light green.

Its not the end of the world and i’m sure as they progress with the removal of barriers it will get better.

Best way. Works everywhere else like the Humber Bridge and Dartford. Means you don’t get stuck behind some muppet paying in cash
My issue as someone who went over the Dartford crossing a few times in the last 5 years is, what about older people who dont own a smart phone or know how to use a PC? On the first occasion I had to pay it using my phone as I could not get back home to my PC within the 48 hour time limit. The second time I went over it was for the Gillingham away game under Parky when we lost and having been over it the year before, I pre paid it online in advance which was easier. I am reasonable with tech but I know my in laws for e.g. would not have a clue and if they went through, they would be ringing me panicking after reading the signs and would not have the first idea how to go about paying it.

There needs to be a slow lane cash option for those of a technologically challenged disposition, i.e old people.
Apologies if this has been posted but can you still pay using coins?
Yes but they only accept Groats.

Last edited:

Back