TY McGurks

You used to see Billy Hardy have a fight on the Saturday, then he was back in the shop amongst the Milan Europe kits at the back on Monday.

Couldn't get my head around it when I was a kid, I thought he was a massive celebrity.

Used to get my mitre deltas from there. They had a big wire bin of them, loads cheaper than Argos. Thinking back they were probably seconds as the f***ing things deflated like nobody's business after every game.

Got my Moda track suit from there mid 80's during the break dancing scene.

Got OP and Town and Country sweatshirts from there aswell.

This for me too, Joseph’s sports also had a healthy Moda selection if I remember correctly.

Bought lime green crazee laces for my Nikes...that got pinched from Chesters Play Park when I hid them behind a curtain rather than use a locker while playing soft tennis :lol:

1985 was a bittersweet year

You used to see Billy Hardy have a fight on the Saturday, then he was back in the shop amongst the Milan Europe kits at the back on Monday.

Couldn't get my head around it when I was a kid, I thought he was a massive celebrity.
Does anyone still see Billy, I haven't for years.

My mate used to be manager of TY Mcgurks back in the late 80s/early 90's. I used tp get 45% staff discount. Picked up a pair of Nike Air Jordan 5's for £50. Wish I still had them. Got my 1985 Moda tacksuit from Elite sports in Blandford Street (opposite where Home Bargains is now). £45 I think. Had to go upstairs to the tiny shop and pass one of those ding dong alarm sensors on the floor that let the owner they had a customer.

Was it McGurks that had a special sort of VIP discount card? Something like 10% off any purchase if you had one?

And I think pretty much everyone in Sunderland fell into the VIP category so we all had them.
Ha yeah forgot about that . Class memories

We’re they not Shaqs trainer?

I remember them as Charles Barkleys sure he did a shut up and jam promo campaign, could have dreamt that.

On the theme of random footy tops, anyone remember Winners? Once bought Bristol Citys minging green and yellow away top from there for a mates birthday :lol:

My mate worked downstairs and we got half price on everything, go in and try some trainers on for size, decide which ones to get and he’d take them to the till, go through the motions bagging them up and off you went with a new pair of trainers in a TY McGurk bag. Give him 50% in the pub on the night.

Last edited:
Could spend hours trying out every cricket bat downstairs, I remember treating myself to a lotto Switzerland top aswel. Never knew why it closed was gutted when I found out

Back