Two men killed in Tesla car crash 'without driver' in seat

Does it have to be both hands?

I've often wondered about this, because once you get going on a motorway, or even crawling in traffic, I generally have my elbow resting on the door sill and I'm holding the wheel between my finger and thumb, but ready to grip with both hands should I need it. It is a comfortable way to do long distances. If the car is going to scream at you to put both hands on the wheel and keep checking your mirrors, and you have cruise control, then in my eyes you may as well be driving it yourself, then at least you can do it in a way that is most comfortable - even if that is a bad habit.
If you wedge a water bottle in the steering wheel that's normally enough to stop it beeping and making you put your hands on the wheel

Why would you know that? If it was any good it should never get you in an emergency brake scenario in the first place.
Because if you're driving along and someone slams on their brakes Infront of you your car has to do the same to avoid a collision. When that has happened the Tesla is already reacting before I do. As good as the Tes is it can't be stopping the person in front from not having to emergency brake and doesn't keep 20 car lengths back to enable a safe and steady stop if the car Infront does need to emergency stop.
There is a range of distances you can set the car to , I think I have mine mid range.

Last edited:
Because if you're driving along and someone slams on their brakes Infront of you your car has to do the same to avoid a collision. When that has happened the Tesla is already reacting before I do. As good as the Tes is it can't be stopping the person in front from not having to emergency brake and doesn't keep 20 car lengths back to enable a safe and steady stop if the car Infront does need to emergency stop.
There is a range of distances you can set the car to , I think I have mine mid range.
Speed of light is pretty quick. Problem is it doesn't prevent the car behind slamming into you.

Mine has anti collision, set it in semi auto pilot and it reacts far quicker than I can in an emergency brake condition.
Mine did this the other week. I was already breaking quite hard and it slammed them on even more. Just as well anarl otherwise I would have gone into the back of someone in the outside lane.

I’d already had auto cruise control in and it was automatically keeping me to the right breaking distance anarl.
Why would you know that? If it was any good it should never get you in an emergency brake scenario in the first place.
See above!

Does it have to be both hands?

I've often wondered about this, because once you get going on a motorway, or even crawling in traffic, I generally have my elbow resting on the door sill and I'm holding the wheel between my finger and thumb, but ready to grip with both hands should I need it. It is a comfortable way to do long distances. If the car is going to scream at you to put both hands on the wheel and keep checking your mirrors, and you have cruise control, then in my eyes you may as well be driving it yourself, then at least you can do it in a way that is most comfortable - even if that is a bad habit.
I’m not sure how much pressure you need to squeeze the wheel to stop it bollocking you, I’m going to experiment next time I have it out.

Yep humans make mistakes too but we have emotional intelligence that can allow us, if we think properly, to identify risks.

tbf, I don't think driverless cars are there yet but I have no doubt they will be, and will end up with an accident and mortality rate lower than human drivers, many of whom are poor to terrible, and that's without mentioning those who are sleep-deprived, distracted by a phone or music or the kids in the back seat, angry about the last person who overtook them, drunk off the night before, and on and on. Human risk taking is prone to cognitive distortions (and changes with age) and we're not as good at it as we think we are.

I’m not sure how much pressure you need to squeeze the wheel to stop it bollocking you, I’m going to experiment next time I have it out.
It's not so much squeezing it as putting slight pressure on to change course, even though you're ot going!
The only time I use the full steering mode is if I'm very briefly going to look at the Infotainment pad. It's ok for that but I don't have enough faith in it beyo d that. I'll stick to semi auto for now.

Mine did this the other week. I was already breaking quite hard and it slammed them on even more. Just as well anarl otherwise I would have gone into the back of someone in the outside lane.

I’d already had auto cruise control in and it was automatically keeping me to the right breaking distance anarl.

See above!
Sounds like you’re all driving too close to the car in front. Don’t they teach you young uns safe stopping distances these days?

Sounds like you’re all driving too close to the car in front. Don’t they teach you young uns safe stopping distances these days?
The car had set the distance to the car in front automatically. Don’t blame me!
Yep humans make mistakes too but we have emotional intelligence that can allow us, if we think properly, to identify risks.
Humans are, as a whole, shit at identifying risks.

Last edited:

Back