Two clubs interested in Oviedo

If Oviedo leaves, it weakens the team, at a time that Ross seems to be adopting a formation that would be perfectly suited for him.

I would be gutted if he left. Stewart Donald specifically said we didn’t have to get rid of the high earners this summer. He wouldn’t lie about that would he? :oops:

I think a half decent manager would have used Oviedo far more effectively last season.

He is a left back and when used at left back he was often poor, struggled to defend and wasnt great going forward. If he was on league 1 wages I would say keep him, on top dollar then there is plenty of average full backs around who can do a job for a tenth of what we pay him.

He was hardly pulling up any trees mate, he was beyond average when he could actually get in the side....Few good games towards the end of the season but £35k a week or whatever? Not worth £10k a week.

Our full back play November onwards was pretty poor. I'm not going to lie & say he had a good season but I'd still like to keep him as he's into his last year anyways ...

He has good composure on the ball & is a decent player to watch. I'd like to see him in a more attacking system & he's certainly better than we have/we'd get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tbf, we are still losing money and he is taking £2m+ a year in wages. Shipping him out will be huge for us

It’s not his level mate. He gets kicked to fuck and struggles.
According to the person who owns the club, we're on course to make a profit..

But according to you, we're losing money

Hmmm...

He is a left back and when used at left back he was often poor, struggled to defend and wasnt great going forward. If he was on league 1 wages I would say keep him, on top dollar then there is plenty of average full backs around who can do a job for a tenth of what we pay him.

I'd rather watch better footballers that average ones as a supporter. Cattermole leaving didn't bring a flood of players in, despite SD suggesting it might, several times during his podcasts. We won't go up with average full backs.

I'd rather watch better footballers that average ones as a supporter. Cattermole leaving didn't bring a flood of players in, despite SD suggesting it might, several times during his podcasts. We won't go up with average full backs.

End of the day Ross wants a 20 man squad including Hume & Robson. They're at like 24 at the moment including Oviedo so we'll still be selling another few to get it down to where they want it. They're not going to go and sign another 3 players unless they leave first.

End of the day Ross wants a 20 man squad including Hume & Robson. They're at like 24 at the moment including Oviedo so we'll still be selling another few to get it down to where they want it. They're not going to go and sign another 3 players unless they leave first.
The motive behind trimming the squad is not down to unity, or competitiveness, let's be honest..

Hume will be alright as first choice and then bring someone from this level as cover.

I like how Oviedo hasn't thrown his toys out of the pram when relegated and just got on with it, I do have to admit that I was expecting him to be a stand out performer at this level and thats something he rarely was. It's another case where wages against performances comes into play and he's one of those players who we could lose yet it's not going to make a huge amount of difference.

This,

I took it as 20 man senior squad with the under 23s coming threw to make up the numbers if we had injury's.

Last edited by a moderator:
People are really thinking Oviedo is the prime reason we're not bringing players in left right and centre that's why. Some seem to think that him going will spur on loads of transfer activity, I just can't see that being the case.

It's the angle the club have taken recently to be fair, that's very much why I made the point. They can't keep quoting the wages cap when there are so few players who signed their current deals under the previous regime, maybe 2 or 3? Once Oviedo goes that excuse disappears.

It's the angle the club have taken recently to be fair, that's very much why I made the point. They can't keep quoting the wages cap when there are so few players who signed their current deals under the previous regime, maybe 2 or 3? Once Oviedo goes that excuse disappears.

Watmore still left i suppose. after him i can't think of another high earner.

Our full back play November onwards was pretty poor. I'm not going to lie & say he had a good season but I'd still like to keep him as he's into his last year anyways ...

He has good composure on the ball & is a decent player to watch. I'd like to see him in a more attacking system & he's certainly better than we have/we'd get.
Agree. However, £35k a week in Div3 is difficult to justify.

Back