Twitter is now called X

That’s my thoughts too. If they had waited and made a polished experience from day 1 then it would have taken over. It was an own goal really. I’m pleased though as I can’t stand meta/Facebook as a company.

I don't, the fact it's owned by META / Facebook is the problem. People don't want to go on another Zuckerburg social network, it's sidestepping at best and Facebook is a complete mess lately aswell. It just doesn't get attention as no-one uses it as it's crap.

Funny that Musk said he was going to deal with bots

Almost every popular football related tweet will have loads of shady betting app spam replies. It's miles worse than it used to be like
Musk never wanted to get rid of bots, because that's pretty much half of his follower base. Just been reading there 25% or roughly 40m of his followers were created after he took over Twitter, more than 60m of his followers have never tweeted and the same amount have zero followers themselves.

I liked Twitter when it was a thread of people I followed, with the odd interjection of related stuff. Now the "For You" is sponsored (paid for) accounts following an algorithm, and the "Following" tab seems to have been deliberately made a shit show with heavy advertising and a random mix of chronological and "most relevant" posts.
This is spoiled it for me. It was the perfect source of news for my interests, football in particular, but slowly it became filled with divisive political shite that I don’t follow. Deleted the app when i felt is was starting to have a negative effect and instantly felt like it helped. I do occasionally go on and now it’s completely comprised of accounts i don’t follow. Random Sunderland fans I don’t know or follow because of the algorithms. Its awful, and a shame because it was once brilliant.

Elon Musk has rebranded Twitter to “X” and the changes they propose is to be more like WeChat in China. That app is like an ecosystem in itself with many apps inside an app. On WeChat you can do stuff like voice/video calls, message, buy groceries, book doctor appointments, call a taxi and scan a QR code to send your CV off to a company. It’s pretty much impossible to do much in China without it. These new goals are very optimistic.

For those who use Twitter, will you continue to use “X” or bin it off and potentially switch to Threads?
I guess I will as it's got some of the most bizarre shite on it ever. Also some top class weirdos.

For example.

I’ve got all of the sun media including Piers Morgan blocked, has been only way to completely get that trash out of my newsfeed - if you mute then other people’s quotes, interactions , likes etc of that media still comes into the feed.

Another shite move

An article from Fortune that suggests his global version of a WeChat app is behind the "pay to use" idea-
Elon Musk wants to get everyone paying to use Twitter to counter ‘bots’—but his WeChat ambitions suggest another motive

"More importantly, however, handing Musk the details to one’s credit or debit account will attract merchants to the platform looking to sell their goods and services directly to the Tesla CEO’s customers.

The move is taken straight out of the playbook of WeChat—the Tencent-owned messaging app that now dominates Chinese daily life.

It only became a super app after it began collecting payment details in January 2014 as part of a new offer to virtually send the red “Hongbao” envelopes of cash customary for Chinese New Year. (Cont'd)"

Good article here

A good example of how proxy war propaganda spreads: a missile hit a Donetsk market on Sept. 6, killing 17 people. It was one of the deadliest attacks inside Ukraine this year.Ukraine declared that Russia was responsible. Western media outlets, e.g.
@democracynow
, widely parroted the claim and featured it in pro-proxy war messaging (https://democracynow.org/2023/9/7/hanna_perekhoda_ilya_budraitskis_ukraine_russia…). Now NYT admits that Ukraine fired the missile, not Russia. (https://nytimes.com/2023/09/18/world/europe/ukraine-missile-kostiantynivka-market.html…)

Good article here

A good example of how proxy war propaganda spreads: a missile hit a Donetsk market on Sept. 6, killing 17 people. It was one of the deadliest attacks inside Ukraine this year.Ukraine declared that Russia was responsible. Western media outlets, e.g.
@democracynow
, widely parroted the claim and featured it in pro-proxy war messaging (https://democracynow.org/2023/9/7/hanna_perekhoda_ilya_budraitskis_ukraine_russia…). Now NYT admits that Ukraine fired the missile, not Russia. (https://nytimes.com/2023/09/18/world/europe/ukraine-missile-kostiantynivka-market.html…)

Absolutely nothing to do with Musk or Twitter. Just because you're banned from the Ukraine thread doesn't mean you should get to spew it anywhere you like.

Back