Twitchers/birdwatchers - is this a sparrowhawk?

Had a one in my back garden 6 weeks ago, ripped a doves head off and its heart out, feathers + guts all over the garden i had the pleasure of shovelling it up and putting it in my wheelie bin

Had a one in my back garden 6 weeks ago, ripped a doves head off and its heart out, feathers + guts all over the garden i had the pleasure of shovelling it up and putting it in my wheelie bin
Killing machines mate, lost 14 tumblers over a 3 week period 2 years ago. About 3 occasions i was not far away and chased it off but the damage was done by then.it was a large female, most likely feeding chicks but i had a male harris hawk for 2 years so i cannot complain ! Only doing what hawks do.

Makes me think its a bit under the weather, looking at the picture, feathers look a bit puffed out so somethings not right.

I was thinking it's still young - barely past fledgling.

It's a bit nippy and windy today as well, so she could just be having a bad hair day.

Defo female. Male has slate grey back and rust coloured bars on the front. Lovely creature.
Male eats small sing birds, female will tackle everything up to jackdaws and pigeons.

Defo female. Male has slate grey back and rust coloured bars on the front. Lovely creature.
Male eats small sing birds, female will tackle everything up to jackdaws and pigeons.

Plenty for them to eat round here then. We've got hundreds of sparrows, a few families of tits, blackbirds, magpies, and a handful of woodpigeons the size of medium chickens.

Back