Twenty Five Years Ago Today

The inaugural First Class Match at the Riverside began against Warwicks.

I had booked the week off from work (went to OT to see the rained off B & H tie v Lancs on the Tuesday) and was a bit taken aback to see a heavy frost when I woke up on the Thursday morning:eek:
I remember they were expecting a massive crowd but there was probably 4500 max owing a lot to the cold weather. Bought a Souvenir Programme for £2.50 then sat in what was then called S Stand (in front of where the Health Club is now) with my late father in law and watched Simon Brown bowl the first delivery.

Have to say it was one of those days where the occasion was better than the cricket as Warwicks ground their way to 240-2 at the close.

I can remember Tony Jesus Day somehow managing to blag his way into the corporate suites on the top floor of the pavilion and waving to his disciples next to us.

Durham line up was: Roseberry,Larkins,Morris,Daley,Saxelby,Prabhakar,Ligertwood,Wood,Boiling,Brown and Betts.

Jimmy Daley was unable to bat in the 2nd innings after falling victim to the variable bounce of the new wicket...sadly not for the last time in his DCCC career.

Any other memories of that day?

A recall some little bloke blind drunk in a one day shirt individually thanking everyone for “supporting the lads”. Was probably early 40s. Iirc he used to take pics of the players on a long lense camera mebbes.

Hard to recall as I was a kid myself. I’m guessing some on here would know of him.

A recall some little bloke blind drunk in a one day shirt individually thanking everyone for “supporting the lads”. Was probably early 40s. Iirc he used to take pics of the players on a long lense camera mebbes.

Hard to recall as I was a kid myself. I’m guessing some on here would know of him.

I'd forgotten all about him. He used to hang around the pavilion steps and take photos. Everyone used to say he never had any film in the camera.:D

The inaugural First Class Match at the Riverside began against Warwicks.

I had booked the week off from work (went to OT to see the rained off B & H tie v Lancs on the Tuesday) and was a bit taken aback to see a heavy frost when I woke up on the Thursday morning:eek:
I remember they were expecting a massive crowd but there was probably 4500 max owing a lot to the cold weather. Bought a Souvenir Programme for £2.50 then sat in what was then called S Stand (in front of where the Health Club is now) with my late father in law and watched Simon Brown bowl the first delivery.

Have to say it was one of those days where the occasion was better than the cricket as Warwicks ground their way to 240-2 at the close.

I can remember Tony Jesus Day somehow managing to blag his way into the corporate suites on the top floor of the pavilion and waving to his disciples next to us.

Durham line up was: Roseberry,Larkins,Morris,Daley,Saxelby,Prabhakar,Ligertwood,Wood,Boiling,Brown and Betts.

Jimmy Daley was unable to bat in the 2nd innings after falling victim to the variable bounce of the new wicket...sadly not for the last time in his DCCC career.

Any other memories of that day?
25 years today that frightening. Pleased you mentioned Tony one of my favourite characters from the 90s. Sad he wasn't around for the good times.

25 years today that frightening. Pleased you mentioned Tony one of my favourite characters from the 90s. Sad he wasn't around for the good times.

Used to be him and his disciples - Steve The Baptist, Darlo Eddie, Whitburn Kenny, Big Chris, Shincliffe Kenny....real characters.

Tony was running a book on how many Roseberry would score but said he wasnt accepting anything over 20 as anyone who was betting on that was obviously pissed.:lol:

Used to be him and his disciples - Steve The Baptist, Darlo Eddie, Whitburn Kenny, Big Chris, Shincliffe Kenny....real characters.

Tony was running a book on how many Roseberry would score but said he wasnt accepting anything over 20 as anyone who was betting on that was obviously pissed.:lol:
Aye they where happy times even though the cricket wasn't always great.
I don't know whether it was just that the Riverside was a new ground but in the 90s there always seemed a lot more away supporters travelled to the cricket. Maybe it was just because it was a new ground to tick of the list but there was some right oddballs from other counties would turn up. I remember playing Gloustershire in a one day knock out match and 2 middle aged couples had driven up in the same car and that night they where planning to pitch a tent and kip in Chester park then drive home. Absolutely crackers.

Aye they where happy times even though the cricket wasn't always great.
I don't know whether it was just that the Riverside was a new ground but in the 90s there always seemed a lot more away supporters travelled to the cricket. Maybe it was just because it was a new ground to tick of the list but there was some right oddballs from other counties would turn up. I remember playing Gloustershire in a one day knock out match and 2 middle aged couples had driven up in the same car and that night they where planning to pitch a tent and kip in Chester park then drive home. Absolutely crackers.

Along vaguely similar lines when we played Kent at Gateshead Fell in the CC in 1992, rather than get a lift back to the Boro on the night Jesus kipped in one of the beer tents overnight in his duffle coat.

Along vaguely similar lines when we played Kent at Gateshead Fell in the CC in 1992, rather than get a lift back to the Boro on the night Jesus kipped in one of the beer tents overnight in his duffle coat.
I remember seeing him on TV at Grace Road in Boons last match when we got the points required to make the inaugural 1st Division. He apparently spent the night kipping in the local cemetery.
The match was televised by sky and Tony was sat alone in an empty stand.
I can't remember the name of his mate he travelled to the matches with but he seemed to stop attending when Tony passed.

I remember seeing him on TV at Grace Road in Boons last match when we got the points required to make the inaugural 1st Division. He apparently spent the night kipping in the local cemetery.
The match was televised by sky and Tony was sat alone in an empty stand.
I can't remember the name of his mate he travelled to the matches with but he seemed to stop attending when Tony passed.

Yeah I remember watching that match on Sky and seeing him at the end celebrating with the small group of DCCC fans.

With the exception of the aforementioned Darlo Eddie (who sadly I havent seen for a couple of seasons) I havent noticed any of his mates down the Riverside for at least 15 years.

County cricket was generally better supported across the country. Southern and Midlands counties had dominated so attracted more fans, and Northern counties had traditionally good support from the days they dominated. Travelling to have a day of sunshine, beer and cricket was a big attraction.

Since then, of course, football has taken over the back pages through the summer, and the emergence of T20 has had an inevitable effect on county championship and one day matches.

Back