They're no good for nowt else

It's just formats repeated with someone different
We fall for it
Portillo, polizzi, Bradbury
These Duo travel things .
Father and son ,man and wife travel things
I quite like posh people doing them
They're no good for nowt else
plus relatively very cheap to make . itv have habit of churning them out.

Judith Chalmers, the orange queen
I would like to see a travel show entirely based on getting spangled.

The Diceman is an interesting take on travel shows, I find. Wouldn't mind if they brought it back.

If my memory doesn't fail me I think they visited Sunderland in one of the episodes.

If you're a leg man, I can see why you'd consider that a raise, but overall LH wins hands down.

Always a slight disappointment when the mrs sticks on an episode and it's one of the lads.
They are better presenters and seem to find better properties than the lasses, but they're no comparison.

That episode were Danii wore a floatly blue dress and the whole episode was in the spanish hills, with the wind gusting up the valleys, with her hanging on to it was sheer joy!!

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
Just seen Simon Reeves in Cuba. What an utter shiteater that man is.

He, or his writers, had obviously decided their program's angle long beforehand. It would be to show that capitalism's onward march is unstoppable. That as soon as the poor oppressed Cuban gets a whiff of free enterprise, the genie is out of the bottle and in no time they'll throw off the shackles of communism.

He then set about 'proving' his point, by selectively interviewing Cubans and asking them hopeful leading questions. Well when I say interview, in fact Simon can't say even say potato in Spanish, so someone else must do the interviewing. However he's too vain to show that and pretends he's interviewing.

We get to see his Spanish language skills in action, when he goes into a kitchen, squeezing past some staff and bellows a strangled phrase that the TV subtitles translated as 'Let's go! Let's go!'. We think though it was thick-tongued monoglot Simon's attempt to say Discúlpame in Spanish. That shows you how bad it was.

Despite not understanding the lingo, having zero understanding of Cuban history and culture and having only recently descended the aeroplane steps, Sr. Reeve knows precisely what Cubans think and want.

He makes lots of bald, facile statements of supposed fact. Cuba is "stuck in a time warp" he says. "The economy is crashed through inept communist management". There is no time to mention 60 years of economic blockade by a certain giant neighbour.

First off, he's away to what looks like Cayó Hueso in Centro Habana. The very poorest part of town. He finds a lady with a dodgy roof and the next 10 mins of the program are a full RICS survey. I said to my partner, I don't remember this fucker being up on the roof checking out the tiles in other countries he's visited. Still, point proved, Simon tsks and tuts and is on his way.

Now he's talking about house extensions and DIY. He's gobsmacked that if residents make unauthorised additions to the beautiful colonial architecture, they can be "torn down!". Yes, no planning permission and it just gets torn down. That's how authoritarian these communists are. More tsks and tuts.

And so on and so forth. He interviews a man who's opened a little private paladar restaurant. "I bet most of all, you like being the BOSS!" fishes Simon hopefully. No, he says he just likes seeing people enjoying his food. Simon tsks and tuts anyway.

And so on and so forth selective nonsense. We don't get to see any countryside or find out anything about Cuba or Cubans. All we get is lashings of Simple Simon's pre-determined shitty take on how much better consumer capitalism is than communism.

As is traditional for Reeve, we finish with the voiceover dramatic sunset scene, where Simon sits and gazes whimsically into the middle distance, while summarising how it "seems to him".

He is convinced that Cuba has set in motion an "unstoppable train momentum for change, with a new middle class demanding personal freedoms". He doesn't say what personal freedoms exactly, but don't stop him now, he's on a roll and he's got Cuba all figured out. Cuba is "experiencing a second revolution" he announces and it will be as "monumental as the first".

He "suspects" this will be his last chance to see "Castro's Cuba". Very profound.

Credits roll. Program made in 2012. Any update on this Si?

Just seen Simon Reeves in Cuba. What an utter shiteater that man is.

He, or his writers, had obviously decided their program's angle long beforehand. It would be to show that capitalism's onward march is unstoppable. That as soon as the poor oppressed Cuban gets a whiff of free enterprise, the genie is out of the bottle and in no time they'll throw off the shackles of communism.

He then set about 'proving' his point, by selectively interviewing Cubans and asking them hopeful leading questions. Well when I say interview, in fact Simon can't say even say potato in Spanish, so someone else must do the interviewing. However he's too vain to show that and pretends he's interviewing.

We get to see his Spanish language skills in action, when he goes into a kitchen, squeezing past some staff and bellows a strangled phrase that the TV subtitles translated as 'Let's go! Let's go!'. We think though it was thick-tongued monoglot Simon's attempt to say Discúlpame in Spanish. That shows you how bad it was.

Despite not understanding the lingo, having zero understanding of Cuban history and culture and having only recently descended the aeroplane steps, Sr. Reeve knows precisely what Cubans think and want.

He makes lots of bald, facile statements of supposed fact. Cuba is "stuck in a time warp" he says. "The economy is crashed through inept communist management". There is no time to mention 60 years of economic blockade by a certain giant neighbour.

First off, he's away to what looks like Cayó Hueso in Centro Habana. The very poorest part of town. He finds a lady with a dodgy roof and the next 10 mins of the program are a full RICS survey. I said to my partner, I don't remember this fucker being up on the roof checking out the tiles in other countries he's visited. Still, point proved, Simon tsks and tuts and is on his way.

Now he's talking about house extensions and DIY. He's gobsmacked that if residents make unauthorised additions to the beautiful colonial architecture, they can be "torn down!". Yes, no planning permission and it just gets torn down. That's how authoritarian these communists are. More tsks and tuts.

And so on and so forth. He interviews a man who's opened a little private paladar restaurant. "I bet most of all, you like being the BOSS!" fishes Simon hopefully. No, he says he just likes seeing people enjoying his food. Simon tsks and tuts anyway.

And so on and so forth selective nonsense. We don't get to see any countryside or find out anything about Cuba or Cubans. All we get is lashings of Simple Simon's pre-determined shitty take on how much better consumer capitalism is than communism.

As is traditional for Reeve, we finish with the voiceover dramatic sunset scene, where Simon sits and gazes whimsically into the middle distance, while summarising how it "seems to him".

He is convinced that Cuba has set in motion an "unstoppable train momentum for change, with a new middle class demanding personal freedoms". He doesn't say what personal freedoms exactly, but don't stop him now, he's on a roll and he's got Cuba all figured out. Cuba is "experiencing a second revolution" he announces and it will be as "monumental as the first".

He "suspects" this will be his last chance to see "Castro's Cuba". Very profound.

Credits roll. Program made in 2012. Any update on this Si?
I love the place. One of the main reasons is the lack of US influence. The people are genuine and well educated, the architecture is stunning. I know that almost all of the deprivations you have suffered since the revolution have been inflicted by America as a penance for daring to stand up for yourselves against their corporations and money. I bow to your obvious better knowledge and hope you're right about the long term future, insane amounts of money can be a devious and poisonous addition to any society. Your chief advantage against this is your education system. Please don't lose sight of that. :)

Back