TV Techy expert types..

I have an LG oled and the sound from the TV itself pretty good, more than adequate for day to day stuff. At your price range a sound bar will not be a step up at all In my opinion, certainly not for normal TV. For films there's no substitute for a proper home cinema system anyway, sound bars are shite, its the amount and location of the speakers and obviously the quality, if you can afford £4k for a TV and your serious about the sound then I'd be getting an equal sound system to match. My home cinema cost as much as my TV
Hmmm, not sure I can agree here.

Bought my folks a £100 JBL soundbar for their (albeit cheap) 4k Sammy, and the difference is night and day. If you're spending £3k on a telly, I agree its unfortunate not to pair it with a decent surround sound system, but a ~£250 sound bar will be far far better than what comes with the telly.

Just my opinion of course.

I don’t think I could justify that much on a TV, especially with 8k ones being on the horizon (even if it’s distant horizon).

I’d also have to factor in what image your feeding it. Pointless having such a high end TV if your not using Blu-ray and skyQ

I have an LG oled and the sound from the TV itself pretty good, more than adequate for day to day stuff. At your price range a sound bar will not be a step up at all In my opinion, certainly not for normal TV. For films there's no substitute for a proper home cinema system anyway, sound bars are shite, its the amount and location of the speakers and obviously the quality, if you can afford £4k for a TV and your serious about the sound then I'd be getting an equal sound system to match. My home cinema cost as much as my TV
This
Use my for music and films etc
Remember the neighbours though

Hmmm, not sure I can agree here.

Bought my folks a £100 JBL soundbar for their (albeit cheap) 4k Sammy, and the difference is night and day. If you're spending £3k on a telly, I agree its unfortunate not to pair it with a decent surround sound system, but a ~£250 sound bar will be far far better than what comes with the telly.

Just my opinion of course.
the speakers in these LG oled are very good, they aren't what they stick in a £400 TV,no comparison

Nah, Im not that much into it. Ideally looking to spend no more than ~£3k total, but will stretch further if it makes a big difference.
Going to go to Richer Sounds tomorrow following the advice off here and will definately go down the LG route.

This place does come up trumps at times.

I don’t think I could justify that much on a TV, especially with 8k ones being on the horizon (even if it’s distant horizon).
I’d also have to factor in what image your feeding it. Pointless having such a high end TV if your not using Blu-ray and skyQ
I really wouldn't worry about 8k. 3-5 years before they're mainstream. 4k hasn't even totally taken over from 1080p yet, and its only about 1year ago that the 4k standard really got sorted out.

the speakers in these LG oled are very good, they aren't what they stick in a £400 TV,no comparison
Don't LG sell them with their own soundbar though, for the higher-models? That kinda implies something, doesn't it?

I really wouldn't worry about 8k. 3-5 years before they're mainstream. 4k hasn't even totally taken over from 1080p yet, and its only about 1year ago that the 4k standard really got sorted out.

Don't LG sell them with their own soundbar though, for the higher-models? That kinda implies something, doesn't it?
Dunno, I know the bottom of mine is quite thick, probably kind of a built in soundbar, it's dolby atmos anyway and is quite load

8k is already here. TVs are out and Japan are broadcasting the Olympics in 8k.

@Theop
Might be worth looking at the Sonos sound bar. Sound bars are well worth it as flat screens struggle with bass imho

Last edited:
LG Oled and don't look back!

For the price you are talking you'll pickup the 65inch C9. Speak to richer sounds and also Crampton & Moore. See what deal they can sort you out for the TV plus a sound bar.

Spent 2.2k on an LG OLED in 2018. Superb and never regretted it. Mounted on wall with a decent soundbar below it. Soundbar waant essential as sound from TV was canny anyway but just gives the sound a bit more depth.

4K HDR/Dolby Vision though is incredible on them.

Look at me, I can afford a tele costing £3k pathetic
Tell you're a striker ,very 2012

Spent 2.2k on an LG OLED in 2018. Superb and never regretted it. Mounted on wall with a decent soundbar below it. Soundbar waant essential as sound from TV was canny anyway but just gives the sound a bit more depth.

4K HDR/Dolby Vision though is incredible on them.
Weird ,people saying ,this that and other will be out soon ,yet have 600 quid telly's

Last edited:
Have you got a 40 foot living room, probably not. LG have invested loads in Televisions whilst Samsung are chasing Apple in the phone market so stay away. Sony make some of the best televisions out there but that is reflected in the price. I have a pub and all LG no complaints.

Lg oleds are best value, lg make the screens for sony,panna too

The af9s sound is nice and can be used as a central speaker in a proper home cinema

3k on a tv is mad though

Id go lg oled , and spend the extra on a proper home cinema, or at the v least a soundar with rear speakers, everyone goes on about atmos sound then gets a soundbar which is not gonna get the best out of it.

Fenwicks, jlp, richer sounds or costco best places to buy

Phillips oleds with ambilight are class, puts light onto wall behind it so if watching waterworld it goes blue etc.

Android operating system though

For 3k id want 4k and 3d though, but none of the tvs have it now, so itd be a projector for me, check out any of the recent marvels in 3d and it blows away any 4k.

But if you arent arsed about 3d, lg oled would be good all round,or pana or phillips just depends on your taste re design etc

Lgs remote and operating system is best, if you have sky the lg remote can control that too

Last edited:
A bit O/T but...

I have a 49" LG 3D telly on my wall at home. Work had the contract with Sky for those selling cube things in shopping centres like the metro centre. They cut back and removed several dozen from around the country. We scrapped most of the cubes but ended up with loads of tellies so the bosses decided to sell them off for charity.

I bought one for the princely sum of a tenner thinking well if it's crap my 37" technika will be good for another couple of years.

It's massive compared to my old one and the picture is superb. Bar a couple of small scuffs, not on the screen, that you can barely see it's great. It's easily biggest bargain I've ever purchased :)

£3K seems a bit rich for me!

Back