TV Techy expert types..

toxic tracksuit

Central Defender
Need some advice please. Im looking to buy a top end telly that will last 5-10 years. It will be wall mounted, in a big room, so looking at a 65"er.

Was settled on a 2018 model LG OLED and then adding a soundbar hung under it, but having been to Curry's today they showed me the new Sony AG8 (£3199) and AG9 (£3999) with the screen generated audio. No need for a soundbar, but expect the sound isnt as good? Reckon we'd get at least 10% off and interest free.

Any advice from people who know?

You're spot on. A screen-speaker will not be a patch, not even 10% of even a half decent soundbar.

If you've got proper money to spend, then again, you've got it right looking at LG OLEDs mate.
Maybe Richer Sounds though, than Currys

You're spot on. A screen-speaker will not be a patch, not even 10% of even a half decent soundbar.

If you've got proper money to spend, then again, you've got it right looking at LG OLEDs mate.
Maybe Richer Sounds though, than Currys

Thanks for the advice.

Why richer sounds rather than curry’s? Price wise curry’s seems about the best., although I assume the Richer Sounds folks will know their stuff more.

Will the £3k telly not be out of date in 5yrs anyhow? Technology moves very fast these days.

I have an old big Samsung 1080p and the picture is superb. I also have an LG Oled and while if the source is good it is out of this world but everyday not much in it. The nerds bang on about Nits these days, I wouldn’t get carried away with it.

The LG operating system with the magic remote is the best out there. Sony is shit. It uses some form of android, is clunky and forever updating.

Last edited:
Some good advice, thanks.
If I’m going down the LG / sound bar route I want it to look right as well as sound right. Can’t sit it in a shelf so it will be mounted under the telly. Any recommendations?

I got my oled LG from a superb shop someone recommended on here. They were superb and five year warranty.
Best tv I’ve ever bought.

Got a Bose sound bar. Brilliant.

Sony none android are spot on. Android are terrible.
Problem with them all is that they aren't guaranteed updates, and they can pull an app whenever they like.

Android should be the most resilient to this, but seems that hasn't actually transpired.

I have an LG oled and the sound from the TV itself pretty good, more than adequate for day to day stuff. At your price range a sound bar will not be a step up at all In my opinion, certainly not for normal TV. For films there's no substitute for a proper home cinema system anyway, sound bars are shite, its the amount and location of the speakers and obviously the quality, if you can afford £4k for a TV and your serious about the sound then I'd be getting an equal sound system to match. My home cinema cost as much as my TV

The android side is terrible. The one we had at work used to randomly download massive updates and was unusable for hours at a time.

Stick to a normal tv and stick in a nvidia shield or firestick

Back