TV programmes that left an impression on you...

• Thread starter Deleted member 48628
  • Start date
The news of man going to the moon.

I wanted to be the first woman on the moon and felt both excited at the rocket going to the moon, but sad knowing I as a young girl likely wouldn't be going.

As others have posted....
A Play for Today - some really good plays.

Helen - A Woman for Today.

Stingray.

Mad Men. Exceptionally written in terms of dialogue and a genuinely engaging show that had me ebbing and flowing between like and disdain for Draper - Hamm takes a great part.

Survivors
Edge of Darkness
The Singing Detective
A Very Peculiar Practice
The Beiderbecke Trilogy

And... erm... I'm sure that its just a coincidence that Joanne Whalley appears twice on that very short list...
She was also in the 1982 television adaptation of A Kind Of Loving.

Link to the first episode here.

That one in the early 90's with Sarah Green where they went to a haunted house to see if they could find a ghost.

Most surreal hour of telly. And it was out of nowhere.

Loads already mentioned so in attempt to be original I’d say Battle of the Planets as animation, was the first anime style thing I’d seen as a bairn.
Arthur C Clarke’s mysterious world inspired a lifetime of interest in weird stuff.
Spitting Image- iconic and radical satire that actually made me more aware of world events and politics.

Made in Britain starring a young Tim Roth.
Quite a few of the play for today's
Boyd from the blackstuff
Our friends in the north

Escape Into Night (very dark 1972 kids tv show).
The Invaders.
Monty Python.
Top Of The Pops.
The Singing Ringing Tree.

Last edited:
Twin Peaks. A surreal documentary biopic of Dolly Parton.
Same here. I never really watched it but I really remember it because of the era it was in. Same with Quantum Leap.

It sort of straddled two very distinct time periods. It ended the 80s and began the 90s. Twin Peaks was very gritty. Very dark I think. A sign of what the 90s were perhaps going to be like. And I think it was. Not like TV programmes in the 80s. They on the whole I think were very family friendly and wholesome. And people stood out. Wearing big colourful hair and big colourful clothes. In the 90s things were the opposite.

Midweek sports special
Sportsnight
World of sport
Grandstand
Football focus
Saint and Greavsie

When i was a kid i used to love all my sport and the above was about the only things you could see it on really

Sportsnight was class for boxing with Harry Carpenter

Back