TV for gaming.

deodrant2

Striker
Any ideas on a reasonable priced 50-55inch tv what will be good for the PlayStation, and also watching tv. Any suggestions welcomed, aiming between £300 and £550.

i know its slightly over your budget but to get the most out of the ps5 you should be looking at something that is hdmi2.1 and 120hz with VRR

this pretty much ticks all the boxes for that , whilst I do not have this exact model I do have a TCL tv and have been impressed by it for the price I paid.

That's a steal, I paid a grand for those features a couple of years ago.

I thought cos it was TCL it would be poor but for the price thought I’d chance it for me garden bar as I wasn’t too bothered about the features but to be honest it’s as good as my lg I’ve got in main room
I have an LG, great telly but it cost a lot, bought it for those features as I knew the ps5 would be supporting them at some point.

i know its slightly over your budget but to get the most out of the ps5 you should be looking at something that is hdmi2.1 and 120hz with VRR

this pretty much ticks all the boxes for that , whilst I do not have this exact model I do have a TCL tv and have been impressed by it for the price I paid.

Got the TCL 845k as my main telly.
The picture is great, but be aware that TV apps such as iPlayer and itvx don't work in it.

TCL put a piece of paper in the box that allows you to apply for a free roku stick that does support UK TV apps, but it's a needless faf and uses up one of the hdmi and usb ports

The picture is great, but be aware that TV apps such as iPlayer and itvx don't work in it.

TCL put a piece of paper in the box that allows you to apply for a free roku stick that does support UK TV apps, but it's a needless faf and uses up one of the hdmi and usb ports
Mines got android tv built in so can get them apps but the android tv bit is bit slow and laggy compared to other TVs but perfectly useable

Mines got android tv built in so can get them apps but the android tv bit is bit slow and laggy compared to other TVs but perfectly useable
Mines got android TV too, and it's pretty fast.

Seems that none of the x45 (745/845 etc) series are certified by the BBC. For whatever reason this means that none of the UK based TV apps work

I have no idea why this is. I've tried side loading various incarnations of the apps, but they either don't work, state that they're unsupported or aren't made for TV use (mobile phone proportions or need a mouse to navigate)

Supported devices | iPlayer help See here for the iPlayer TV support page

Last edited:

IMO always go with a dedicated box for streaming etc - the TV's should be used mainly as a dumb screen. They just aren't as powerful as you need for a decent experience on the whole.

IMO always go with a dedicated box for streaming etc - the TV's should be used mainly as a dumb screen. They just aren't as powerful as you need for a decent experience on the whole.
Whatever is powering the system in my telly is rapid. Better than the Roku stick anyway.

The response time is instant for just about anything and the comparable apps that run in both systems (eg Netflix) run better directly from the android TV interface.

What box are you running? I'm guessing it's a fair bit more powerful than a usb powered smart stick?

Whatever is powering the system in my telly is rapid. Better than the Roku stick anyway.

The response time is instant for just about anything and the comparable apps that run in both systems (eg Netflix) run better directly from the android TV interface.

What box are you running? I'm guessing it's a fair bit more powerful than a usb powered smart stick?

Apple TV for me. Onboard apps can work better than cheap usb smart sticks, but a proper box is miles better.

Back